CVK 34 butterfly shaft leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default CVK 34 butterfly shaft leak

For all those who have changed out the butterfly shaft seal on the CVK 34.

I changed my dried out/leaking felt seal with the yamaha rubber seal as outlined in the CVK 34 how too's.
Well my first time around I packed it with grease when I installed the rubber seal, still had issues with air leaking by.
I decided that the grease was preventing the lip of the seal from sucking against the butterfly shaft while the motor was on, so I pulled it all apart again and cleaned out all the grease.

Two things I noted when I removed everything for the second time.
  1. The shaft has a groove where the black plastic bushing goes, looks like it should have an O-ring or some type of seal on it to keep the bushing from moving around and prevent dirt/dust ingress past it.
  2. The shaft hole isn't centered in the countersunk hole where the seal goes, when the new rubber seal is installed there is a noticeable gap on one side.
I found an o-ring that fits in the shaft groove and installed that, also placed the seal in completely dry this time. There was also a small amount in/out play when everything was installed so I put a small O-ring on the E-clip side to tighten it all up.

Long story short I still have air leaking past the seal, if the motor is idling and I spray some throttle body cleaner near the shaft seal the motor dies.
I'm thinking of trying to source another felt seal in hopes that it will fill that small gap the rubber seal is creating but I'm having a hard time sourcing the correct felt seal.
My other thought was to have the hole machined to make the shaft hole in the center which should allow the rubber seal to work as intended.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers