Custom programmable CDI for the KLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Custom programmable CDI for the KLX

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I wrote here, I've been busy. Among other things, we design application specific CDI units in our company. I've always wanted to install one on my KLX (which is already quite modded... ).

I also stated a long time ago on this forum that if we could get the same connectors as on the KLX CDI, it would be a simple matter for us to offer a commercial plug&play programmable CDI unit. Well, that happened last November. So, after a few months on the drawing board and some validations, we'll offer a commercial replacement CDI for the KLX at the beginning of March. Express your interest if any, so that we know how many units to build this month! I don’t want to use this forum for commercial advertising, it is probably against the etiquette. We have web pages being designed that will go online early next week. Yet I can’t resist giving here some of the details. Please see it as informative purpose, not marketing.

The custom CDI will be available only for 06-07 model year at first, and should be available for 09 and later in April. This is only for the north american and australian KLX (though australians might not have strong interest since their CDI is already more aggressive). It will be $219 plus shipping.

The commercial unit have small ears on the side that permits bolting it in place of the stock one.

The circuit is an adaptation of previous designs that made their proof in past projects:

The commercial version is pottied with silicone and able to withstand harsh environments.

The custom programmable CDI has a "MAP select" connector: leave it open to select the stock timing curve of the north american CDI (25deg advance@5000rpm)

or install the supplied short and get the australian (is it the “KLX250ES”?) curve (35deg@5000rpm):

These are rather crude timing curves, if you ask me, but this is what those stock CDI do. If you look closely, the unit has a led on the top. It blinks when the engine is not running: blink slowly when the 25deg. Curve is selected, fast when 35deg.

Or spend $60 more and get the CDI to PC link device for full programmability, including the ability to set the cutoff at the rpm of your choice:

It will be pottied in a small plastic box. It plugs into the USB port of your computer and works with our proprietary software. You will even be able to program timing curves that depend on throttle opening (3D mapping), if you want so:

What is the gain going from 25 to 35deg advance? I don't know for sure, and honestly, it might be not very much. I saw mentioned on this forum 0.5hp gain by switching from north american to the australian CDI (the one with 35deg advance). Anyway, we'll know exactly when temperature gets above freezing point here. I have reserved dyno time early in March.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Beautiful work there Ray! Some of these guys are going to wet their pants when they see this.

Dan

Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Dan,

Least we can say you are fast on the trigger! This is what new wheel bearings do?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm... i would be interested

BUT i would rather see it come with the AUS map for the default and a custom more aggresive (but safe) map as the second option.

two hundred and fifteen bones is alot of money to throw at a half a horsepower if that is indeed the gain from 25 to 35 degree advance with the only other preset map being the same as stock. If i want the crappy stock timing back i'll put the old CDI back in .... lol

Also i don't really understand how the 3d mapping is going to work without a TPS ? I know the older bikes had them but all the new ones do not.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Hmm... i would be interested

BUT i would rather see it come with the AUS map for the default and a custom more aggresive (but safe) map as the second option.

two hundred and fifteen bones is alot of money to throw at a half a horsepower if that is indeed the gain from 25 to 35 degree advance with the only other preset map being the same as stock. If i want the crappy stock timing back i'll put the old CDI back in .... lol

Also i don't really understand how the 3d mapping is going to work without a TPS ? I know the older bikes had them but all the new ones do not.
We might think about offering different builtin maps, but the rationale is the original 25deg is for those who just need a replacement cdi and don't want more advance. We could offer a more agressive curve for the alternate map but prefer to keep it safe and let adventurous people decide by themself with the programmable option.

You're right, 3D mapping is only going to work with 06-07 models. No TPS on 09 and later bikes. Strange path for Kawasaki, if you ask me... The TPS had no influence at all on the CDI, even though it was connected to it.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

09's don't have a tps?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
09's don't have a tps?
No, per the service manual. I seem to recall others mentioning this also.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayCour
No, per the service manual. I seem to recall others mentioning this also.
o well, one less thing to go wrong lol.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Very cool. Good work. 200 bucks is cheap for a replacement CDI

Old 02-05-2012, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Very cool, I know you're just getting up and all but if you could add any data on bikes with the 351 mod or any BB would be cool. Raw data looks very impressive.

Quick Reply: Custom programmable CDI for the KLX