Cruising speed with BB 351

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
+1 and I 'd like to add that I don't think people are advising you to go 15T in front for the purpose of 'going faster.' With larger bore, the engine handles the higher gearing easily and it results in turning lower RPMs at any given speed in the same gear. My gas mileage went up when I added a tooth up front. It's nice to cruise along at 5400RPM in 6th gear at 60mph. The bike (with 300cc and above) will handle all but the very largest of hills in 6th gear with no problem at all. I have the KLX300 jug on mine and it does just fine so a 351 should handle it that much easier.
Makes sense with the 15 tooth to get lower rpm's and get better gas mileage. I just thought that by having a 15 tooth then I would be back in the same postion as I am now and would have a hard time maintaining speed in the wind. First of all I need to get the 351, then buy a few sprockets and see what's right for me.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

You're going to be very pleased how much harder the 351 will pull, as long as you rejet it.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
You're going to be very pleased how much harder the 351 will pull, as long as you rejet it.
Now that's another thing I have no idea about. I just rebuilt the carb in my 87 kawasaki mojave 250 4-wheeler, but I just went to the dealer told them I needed a rebuild kit and $17 later my 4-wheeler was back up and running. The rebuild kit was stock and I just replaced all of the components in the kit. I know the names off all the parts but really don't know what they do. That's not a typo. I don't fully understand the carb components. Maybe you or someone else can educate me and push me in the right direction. I will not buy a 351, jets, or do anything until everything is clear in my head and I understand every thing. Yes, I know I take things slow!

1. What jet's would I need with the 351. ( I would use stock carb )

2. What does the pilot jet do?

3. What does the main jet do?

4. What does the needle jet do?

5. What does the jet needle do?

6. What does the pilot air screw do?

I know, everybody can go ahead and laugh, I can take it!

Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

2007 Green Machine, read this:

http://www.mikuni.com/fs-tuning_guide.html

Originally Posted by tremor38
How about 'take' 600RPM. If you're running the stock 39T rear and bumped to15T in front, the RPM should be around 5400 at 60MPH. The shock 14/39 combo gives you about 6000RPM at 60mph....unless the SF has a larger rear sprocket than the D-tracker...or our speedo's read way different.
SF has a smaller rear wheel. (17")

Bike turns 6,000 rpm speedo reads 60 or 61 mph. Tack goes down to 5750, speedo drops to 59 at the same time.

Before with 14/39 it was about 6500 @ 60 mph.

My numbers are as I see them. My speedo is off 7%, so 70 mph = 65.

David

Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=2007 Green Machine;449358]b

1. What jet's would I need with the 351. I would get a DynoJet Kit, and use the STAGE 2 Instructions.

As far as you other questions, read this: Care & Feeding Of The Keihin Carb

Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
Now that's another thing I have no idea about. I just rebuilt the carb in my 87 kawasaki mojave 250 4-wheeler, but I just went to the dealer told them I needed a rebuild kit and $17 later my 4-wheeler was back up and running. The rebuild kit was stock and I just replaced all of the components in the kit. I know the names off all the parts but really don't know what they do. That's not a typo. I don't fully understand the carb components. Maybe you or someone else can educate me and push me in the right direction. I will not buy a 351, jets, or do anything until everything is clear in my head and I understand every thing. Yes, I know I take things slow!

Go ahead and get this Dynojet kit. Amazon.com: Dynojet Research Intake Performance Kit - Stage 1 2206: Automotive

This will cover all of your jetting needs, allowing you to replace your main jet, drill the slide for better throttle response with the included drill bit, and drill out and remove the cap covering the fuel/air mixture screw.

Along with ordering the Dynojet kit, you may want to go ahead and order the Kouba Fuel/Air screw extension. It basically allows you to easily adjust your fuel/air mixture while leaving the carburetor on the bike.
This can be purchased here:
"T"-Handle FuelscrewAir/Fuelscrews

Last but not least, go ahead and order a #38 Pilot jet. This may or may not be necessary but it's always nice to have in case your bike is running lean after the 351 kit. You most likely wont need this if you are stock 250.
I am not sure where this can be purchased as I am still looking myself, but someone should speak up and tell you where you can get it

-Pilot jet controls bikes fuel from 0-25% throttle. If you are running lean in that range, you need to up your pilot jet. Most likely wont have to unless you get the 351 installed.

-Main jet controls throttle from 25% on. It is used in conjunction with the needle.

There is no needle jet.

-Just used in conjunction with the main jet. The Dynojet needle has 6 grooves. The higher up the needle you place the clip, the leaner you will lbe running because the needle will plug the main jet more. The farther down the clip, the richer you run because the needle doesn't plug up the main jet as much.

-This is more commonly known as the fuel/air screw. It controls fuel/air mixture to a certain extent. You should replace this with the Kouba fuel/air screw.

Dude! I ask questions like these all the time. Let me try and help you out! Haha answers are in bold.

If you get the Dynojet kit I linked you to along with the Kouba fuel/air screw, you'll want to use something close to this set up:

-Fuel/air screw 2.5 turns out
-#128 DJ Main Jet
-Needle with clip 3rd notch down with two washers on top

This works for most people depending on where you live. I live ~900ft above sea level.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine

Have you seen this article?

How a carburetor works: Carbs explained - Ninja250Wiki

Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Whaddaya know?! That's the same link as the one I gave, just a different title....
Interesting that it's for a Ninja250, when I got mine off of a KLR650 site.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Dude! I ask questions like these all the time. Let me try and help you out! Haha answers are in bold.

If you get the Dynojet kit I linked you to along with the Kouba fuel/air screw, you'll want to use something close to this set up:

-Fuel/air screw 2.5 turns out
-#128 DJ Main Jet
-Needle with clip 3rd notch down with two washers on top

This works for most people depending on where you live. I live ~900ft above sea level.
I find it amazing, jhoffy22, that you are giving repair/tuning advice.

2007 Green Machine said:

jhoffy22 said:
There is no needle jet.

If you are interested, the part number for the needle jet is 16017-1439.

Ron

Old 07-07-2011, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I will give my two cents.

Also, when I talk about speed, I am talking actual speed ( not what the speedo says )

I also have the stock 14-42 gearing.

Before the big bore, the bike was happiest between 55-60 mph. I could run 65 mph but there wasn't much power left on tap. If I tucked and there wasn't a head wind I might touch 70 but there was no way I could hold it there.

After the big bore, the bike is now still happiest at around 60 mph. It still has enough power on tap to pass people though. It will easily run right up to 75 mph now. Thats about where it runs out of steam. Plus I could hold it at 70 mph all day if I wanted to, headwinds and hills aren't much of a concern anymore, even in 6th gear.

I feel much more confident with a big bore at cruising speeds.

I am going to try the 15 tooth front sprocket here soon and see what it does.

For jetting, all I ended up doing was going up one dyno jet main jet size and raising the needle one clip position.

Runs like a champ

Quick Reply: Cruising speed with BB 351