Crashed our 2009 need help on what parts to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Crashed our 2009 need help on what parts to buy

Well we made it just over a month before the first bad crash, had a couple of wash outs but no damage, Son was ridding the bike to check out a fire that was burning up a canyon here and a dog ran out in front of him, he swerved to miss and biffed big time in an embankment, pictures to follow, he broke his hand and has rode rash on every limb, (told him to wear his gear but what the hell do dads know) at least he had helmet on, pretty much flattened the rim, looks like the forks are okay and of course bent the bars, luckily we had installed a set of acerbis hand guards and they took a major hit on one side but protected most of the rest of the bike, hit so hard it push the guard into the clutch lever and broke off the end, My son told me he pushed the bike back home, more like drug it, anyway the question is whether to go with the stock set up on wheel and bars or go exotic, anyone had any experience with other rim set ups on this bike, Mikes Kawasaki did say the could hook us up with a stock rim and lace kit for 275.00 complete That seemed to be reasonable. You guys are the experts, any advice on bars and wheels? Thanks!!! PS I knew he was going to crash, didn’t we all... just glad it was on this sturdy klx bike instead of a 5 or 6 hundred pound turd laying on him.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no knowledge about the rims... but I'd recommend an aftermarket bar. Stock bar is kinda soft and too short for most people.

Glad he's mostly OK... take some pics of the bike so we can collectively say "Ouch"

Old 07-16-2009, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Go to e-bay for the Rim. KDX 200/220 and klx 300 are identical. Just look around to find one in good shape and a decent price. I have front and rear rims off a 97 kdx that I got off e-bay for $105 shipped.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

do they have the same hubs, I was told that the 2009 was different? thanks

Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rockrash42
do they have the same hubs, I was told that the 2009 was different? thanks
I guess they might be different because of the speedo being electronic.

If you use a site like bikebandit.com they have pretty good parts diagrams that will allow you to compare parts from various models.

Glad your son will one day look back and hopefully laugh about it.

Last edited by neilaction; 07-16-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Guess I didn't read the post enough. Never gave the electric speedo a thought, my bad. I have an 06.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
1st Gear Member

lift the wheel and hit the dog next time, as bad as that sound it he safer thing to do.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Dog or the ditch

We went buy the place he crashed last night I told him the same thing, "my applogies to the animal lovers" pretty knarly ditch he went into, boy was lucky.. thanks

Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

For bars, go to RockyMountainATV.com and get the Pro-Taper KX-high bars. I'm darn glad I spent ~$65 on those bars because they took a real pounding one day when the bike went down pretty hard. Trashed the Acerbis Ralley Pro's but, the handle bars didn't flinch and shrugged the impact off.

For the rim, I would be very tempted to get an Excel rim and spokes relaced on the factory hub. The factory rim seems a little tender to me for any serious off road use.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The OEM rims are made of hardened cheese. If you ride in rocks you'll have more dings than a pin ball machine. Go with an excel rim.

Quick Reply: Crashed our 2009 need help on what parts to buy