Cranks but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by warski
Nobody really cares about Mark, but I do miss Kawikathy...
Where's the love????

Old 10-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Gotta show some love to get some love. In a non-broke-back way, of course.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I have long since done away with letting my bike run out of gas before putting it up. I've even gone two weeks without running and I never have a problem starting it anymore.

The best way I've found is to push the starter button BEFORE pulling out the choke. Let the starter run for 2-3 seconds AND THEN bring the choke out slowly. Mine always starts when I get the choke about 3/4 of the way out. Once it starts, I pull the choke all the way out and let it warm up for a couple of minutes before pushing the choke back in.

I know everyone has their own way but this really works for me. I had all kinds of problems starting my bike when I first got it. Now it seems to be perfect. Of course, I don't know how much all the mods have affected the starting. It could be the jetting and opened up airway.

Just my $0.02!

Oh yeah, I will drain the bike before putting it up for the winter. The gas we get these days is so bad, I know it will gum up the carb pretty quick. My son's dirtbike sat for about a month this summer and then I started having problems with the idle. I took the carb apart this past weekend and guess what?... the bottom of the bowl was covered in varnish. I couldn't believe it. The gas was only a month old. I cleaned all the jets out and now it runs fine.

BTW, I was over at the airport today and they sell regular gas for some old airplanes that don't use 100LL. The gas comes without ethanol. I might start buying my gas at the airport from now on.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay I deserve some grief Brian but...

So I drained the bowl and it fired up but only with full choke - I let the bike warm up (this is Arizona so...) and the bike will not idle - just dies. Que pasa? Bad gas? It has been sitting for a while.

Last edited by klx250s_rider; 10-27-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Cranks, but no cranks.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx250s_rider

So I drained the bowl and it fired up but only with full choke - I let the bike warm up (this is Arizona so...) and the bike will not idle - just dies. Que pasa? Bad gas? It has been sitting for a while.
Sounds like it to me, welcome back Mark, hows Kathy going?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I do 2 things that work everytime.

1st - Slowly pull the choke out while pushing the starter button. Should fire up.

2nd - If it doesn't fire up after that, Grab front brake and nose dive it a couple of times. ( compress front shock, let up and repeat) Then repeat the first step.
This works EVERYTIME for me!!! Weird huh??

Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM
1st Gear Member

reset the idle ****- bad gas will still burn just takes a little more- crank it out once you have it running with the choke. I adjust mine all the time because of old or bad gas stations, sometime the lawn mower gas is involved

Old 10-28-2009, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx250s_rider

I would guess the carb needs to be taken apart and dunked in cleaner. sounds like a plugged passage or jet.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
I have long since done away with letting my bike run out of gas before putting it up. I've even gone two weeks without running and I never have a problem starting it anymore.

The best way I've found is to push the starter button BEFORE pulling out the choke. Let the starter run for 2-3 seconds AND THEN bring the choke out slowly. Mine always starts when I get the choke about 3/4 of the way out. Once it starts, I pull the choke all the way out and let it warm up for a couple of minutes before pushing the choke back in.

I know everyone has their own way but this really works for me. I had all kinds of problems starting my bike when I first got it. Now it seems to be perfect. Of course, I don't know how much all the mods have affected the starting. It could be the jetting and opened up airway.

Just my $0.02!

Oh yeah, I will drain the bike before putting it up for the winter. The gas we get these days is so bad, I know it will gum up the carb pretty quick. My son's dirtbike sat for about a month this summer and then I started having problems with the idle. I took the carb apart this past weekend and guess what?... the bottom of the bowl was covered in varnish. I couldn't believe it. The gas was only a month old. I cleaned all the jets out and now it runs fine.

BTW, I was over at the airport today and they sell regular gas for some old airplanes that don't use 100LL. The gas comes without ethanol. I might start buying my gas at the airport from now on.
There is definately something to that slow pull on the choke, I have used that if the bike has sat for 3-4 days and I didn't run the gas out. Its still a bugger to start, it takes a lot of cranking, but there must be something in there that the slow pull works with.

Quick Reply: Cranks but...