Cranks but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Cranks but...

This is a first, the KLX cranks like a banshee but won't start. Plenty of fuel, lines seem clear, plug is good - any typical, obvious solutions here?????

Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I had that happen once.. Made sure the plug was sparking visually - it was.. Tried cranking it for a half hour different ways.

Ended up changing the plug anyway, and it fired right up first crank.

So, even if you see it sparking it could still be shot. Worth a try.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 AM
1st Gear Member

this is your first post in awhile- just couldn't stay away from us leg-humpers!

is it vapor locked this happens to mine all the time when it sits too long(I'm not as good as Deej and ((there I said it-bathe in it)) turn off the fuel when I come to a stop) so I just lay it down for 5 sec. pick it back up and it fires right up.

Dump the fuel bowl!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member

tried a roll start?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Did this just happen or had you been working on the bike?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 AM
1st Gear Member

full story please and in the words of deej "talk to me goose"

Old 10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

How long has the bike been sitting since it was started? How did you shut it down last? Sounds like you need to get the gas out of the bowl. Try this.

This is the original thread for hard starts. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_96672/tm.htm

Here is the basic information.

Shut down procedure.

1. After riding as you are pulling into your driveway, or to speed things up you can do this a block from your house, turn off the gas.
2. Let the bike run until it actually dies from gas starvation, (this may take 2-5 minutes) But that's ok it will give you time to put away your gear.
3. Park it and now you're ready for the next time you ride whether that be in a day, or a month.

Start up procedure.

1. Turn on the gas
2. Wait for 10 seconds
3. Start the bike as you always do

Now I know some of you are asking why not just drain the bowl and then you can start the bike. Well there are two reasons. It it harder to drain the bowl by hand than to let the bike do this as it runs out of gas, and by running the gas out using the motor, it assures that all of the small areas that would otherwise still have this junk they call fuel will be empty, ready for fresh, (fresher) gas to get in and do its job. Now all of that being said, I came up to work yesterday to let my son ride the moped up on the lawn and I cranked on the bike for a few minutes, and then I thought I wonder if I can drain the bowl and do the "after thought" procedure to get this thing going? Well I drained the bowl, turned the gas back on and two kicks and it was running. Keep in mind that the moped is a two stroke, and it has been sitting up at work in a mechanical room for about 2 months. So either way, whether running the gas out using the motor so you are ready to go next time (which I think is faster and more efficient) or you drain the bowl using the screw at the bottom of the carb, the results are the same, you get your bike started.

And I even guess some people would say that this is a hassle, but I gotta tell you that cranking on a bike for 5 minutes off and on only to run the battery down and still have not started the bike is way more of a hassle than a little time taken to get ready for the next ride. This last summer I rode my bike everyday for about 3 months, and it always started right up, but there are a couple of reasons. one it was warmer out, cold weather affects fuels in a negative way, and more importantly by riding the bike everyday I had gas in the bowl that didn't have enough time to "change". Next summer I will probably go back to leaving the gas on and not draining the bowl. but on the wife's bike the procedure will always be to run it out of gas since she doesn't ride as often as I do.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
full story please and in the words of deej "talk to me goose"

LOL that made me ..well....laugh out loud. Awesome man.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

In the winter I have to run it dry or it does not start, had to jump it one time when I did not do this. Summer is not a problem.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wedge
this is your first post in awhile- just couldn't stay away from us leg-humpers!
Nobody really cares about Mark, but I do miss Kawikathy...

Quick Reply: Cranks but...