Crankcase Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Crankcase Knocking

Allo all. Been a /LONG/ time since I've posted up a thing!, though I've been keeping an eye on the forum as always and glad to still see all the regulars are about and healthy.

I thought I'd drop a line amidst my possible bad timings and ask if anyone has noticed a potential 'symptom' thats been plagueing my bike for sometime.

I have'nt trouble shot the issue enough to really see how prominant it is in gear, and if its there it is'nt loud enough for me to hear while riding, but when I have the bike in nuetral and the clutch engaged ( cluter lever out/unpulled ) I have a knocking that sounds reminiscent in tempo to that of a rod bearing.
However.., when the clutche is disengaged ( clutch lever pulled in ), the knock is gone... It sounds like its coming from the left side, centrally located, and is definitely not coming from the cylinder or head. And its just loud enough to have me worried.., its been buging me for sometime now.

So far no shifting issues of any nature in any gears, cold or warmed up. Bike has about 3,900 miles on it or so but its a 2006 and out of warrenty.

Has anyone else noticed/experienced this particular trait, and by chance does anyone have any insight into what it might be?.., I've rebuilt plenty of engines before and a few car/truck/bike trannies so worse comes to worse I may just break down and tear everything appart to see what I can find. But I'm hoping not to go that deep into the bike when its so new.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Crankcase Knocking

couldn't tell ya what it is but mine has been doing the same thing and has been getting more pronounced (4572 miles).I just thought it was the ACR rattling around......either way...if it comes apart i'll let my warranty handle it ( i pulled a 4 year for nothing on the purchase) ....It could also be that idler gear every one was talking about? not sure though as i never had to open the motor beside to run the valves and button her back up.It's been pretty much maintenance free for me besides the oil and filter changes.and i've been doing them at about 600-800 mile intervals with my amsoil.or when the shifting gets goofy.which suprises me as i have 892 miles on this oil and it still shifts fine and doesn't give me any problems....I was trying to go 1200 before a change as it's been all on road with this batch of oil.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Now that I have 25500 miles KLX. I havenoises that started at about 3000 miles. The noise is probally clutch basket to primary gear whine. There are about four noises that are going to be there.[:'(]

Old 01-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i hate noises from the bike.....[:@]

Old 01-12-2008, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I noticed that when I first got the bike there was noist with the clutch out but went away when it was in. I am not sure if it still does it or not, I haven't really listened for it.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

With 650 miles on now, my bike is beginning to make a ticking or tincking noise at idle. Seems to be coming from somewhere down low. It goes away when I pull in the clutch. I'm going to ***ume it's related to the clutch basket and not worry about it. I still don't like hearing unidentified noises from my vehicles, but from what I read on these forums, the KLX has lots of interesting noises that don't indicate any specific problem. Just alot of moving parts, whirling and reciprocating and what not, and no bodywork to mask the sounds. I also picked up the 4 year warranty (not free, but 50% off, which seemed like a good deal). I'll keep getting it serviced at the dealer where I bought it so they will have a record of regular oil changes and maintenance should any warranty issues arise.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats why I thought to post up because this noise has been here for sometime and I have absolutely no performance/operation issues from the bike at all. Every Kawi I've ever owned ( Including my 2005 ZX-6R ) have all been extremely noisy bikes across the board, clear back to my first Kawi which was a 1982 KX-80.

I was somewhat intent on leting it go untill the noise grew really bad ( if it ever does ) or I begin having symptoms because thats so deep into a teardown that I would almost rather buy a couple extra hundred bucks in parts and tear it down later then risk tearing it down to find nothing... I do all my own work which is why I did'nt get the extended warrnety, I'd rather pay for parts then have others I don't personally know touching so deep inside my equipment... Just to scary for me!.

In any case, I'm comforted hearing a few bouts of feedback about this particular issue, it may be the clutchbasket which I've considered but it sounds like its coming from the left side of the case, and were it a rod bearing issue or something on the crank it should grow worse when its unloaded. I don't believe its in the head and crank at all..., its in the clutch basket and behind.

As long as nothings giving out on me.., I don't mind to badly. It just sounds like a little tough rattly 4-stroke thumper, just like it should be. :: he chuckles ::

If anyone else has any ideas, keep the posts coming, the more info the better and it'll give others on the forum whom might search for such things a bit of feedback too.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 PM

I had a BMW F650GS before this bike and it did the same thing, but a lot more pronounced compaired to the KLX I have now. With everyone's doing basically the same thing Id consider it a character trait.

Ive owned BMW boxer's and that F650, Ive grown to love noises (character) in bikes, e****ally a Ducati or MotoGuzzi clutch jungle!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I just crank my iPod on louder, works great!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

got the same noises here, about the same miles. dealer service guy says , ya they are just noisy engines!

Quick Reply: Crankcase Knocking