Crankcase Filter Mod Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 04:11 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Crankcase Filter Mod Update

A while back I added a real crankcase filter by plugging up the airbox crankcase vent hole, routed the vent hose up by the rear suspension, capped it off with a crankcase specific filter, and tied it off there with some stainless steel wire like so:

While this works fine and I haven't had any problems with it, I was a little bit consdered about water. The filter itself seems to be a bit resistant to water so I think it probably would take quite a dowsing to penetrate, but still. So it bugged me little by little to the point where I decided to tweak the location a little.

The existing vent hose is pretty short so options for the filter location with it are pretty limited. So I bought a few feet of 5/8" inside diameter hose from Autozone and moved the filter location on top of the airbox like this:

I double checked the seat fitment and it fits in there fine.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention this since others might be doing this and I think this is a better location for the filter. It is outside the airbox so your engine isn't belching that goo back into your carburetor as well as you have a full 5/8" vent opening which is less engine restriction. It is also now up out of the way of any water, at least if it gets wet there then chances are your bike is swamped anyway and you'd be no worse off than if you still had the crankcase vent hose still patched into the airbox.

Cheers,

Old 10-11-2006, 04:49 AM
Default RE: Crankcase Filter Mod Update

awsome looks great , i was going to use one of those little umbrellas you get with a mai-tai but your solution is much better . Really though great idea

Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Good update! Just like a fine wine, it keeps getting better with age!

Hope you're back in the saddle soon to see how well it works!

What's next ...

Old 10-12-2006, 06:16 PM

Are you planning on any crankcase ventilation control?

I thought you said at one time you were looking into a vacuum system.

I'm still quite interested in this.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty
Are you planning on any crankcase ventilation control?

I thought you said at one time you were looking into a vacuum system.

I'm still quite interested in this.
I was considering adding a PCV valve like what you did. Is that what you mean? I just need to find one that is appropriate - straight in-line with 5/8" fitting on either end so it will accomodate the filter I have. That's probabably a winter project for me. I still have a number of odds and ends that I want to get done to my bike before my cylinder parts arrive.

My to-do list includes:

* re-mount my main switch
* relocate my 12V socket adapter
* add a headlight switch so I can turn it off (i.e., when I'm running the 12V tire pump so as not to load the battery too much)
* re-cap the cylinder head smog opening
* remount my Trailtech Vapor & stock indicator lights

With all that on my list, and some of the above requiring some thought and trial and error, I'm not going to do the PCV mod just yet. In fact, some of the above may need to wait because when I get my cylinder parts in, I don't want to be fiddling with anything but that and don't want anything to unnecessarily keep me from getting my bike back to operating condition. I haven't ridden since Sept 4, except for that tiny post-wash dry-off spin around my neighborhood which hardly counts. I'm itching to get it back up and running.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Why did you take the Vapor off?

Old 10-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

It's not off, off. I'm just changing up the mounting a little bit to clean it up.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:37 PM

Brian,

On the PCV I don't think you will find one that is 5/8 on both ends.

Living in a small town for a long time does have it's benefits. We have a local auto parts store where I am well known. I went in there during a "quiet time" and asked if I could peruse the PCV stock. For whatever reason, I could not find one that had both ends the same.

The one I did find took a shim made out of a piece of gas line to make it the same outside diameter on both ends.

Let me know if you find something in your quest. Please include the source and part number.