crank case breather mod -- question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 09:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default crank case breather mod -- question...

I want to do the crank case breather mod that I hear some of you guys talking about, but how in the world do you reach the port on the air cleaner box with your drill???
It looks like I need a really long flexible drill bit to reach that hole! *LOL* Am I missing something here? Do I have to take the exhaust header off???

Please advise...

Old 02-11-2006, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: crank case breather mod -- question...

ORIGINAL: NavKLX

I want to do the crank case breather mod that I hear some of you guys talking about, but how in the world do you reach the port on the air cleaner box with your drill???
It looks like I need a really long flexible drill bit to reach that hole! *LOL* Am I missing something here? Do I have to take the exhaust header off???

Please advise...

Here's what I did: Take a 3/8" or 1/2" in drill bit (I forget which I used, which ever is the largest that will fit in the inlet hole).

Remove the hose from the front lower right side of the airbox. Insert the drill bit (not chucked in a drill, just by itself) and then use vice grips to turn it. It's very soft plastic and will only take you a few mins. to bore the hole out. Use your shop vac to get the pieces of plastic out of the airbox and then put the hose back on.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Todd! That's a big help!

Old 02-12-2006, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Todd, this would be another place where a pic or two would help me...on my knees begging please

Old 02-19-2008, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

HI, so I am just about to get stuck in on the carb mods tonight but I think I am a bit lost on the crank case breather...? theres no drilling on the crankcase itself.... all that is needed is a new hole in the air boxto let the new hose through...? LOST!

any chance of a pointer...

newby to kawi 4 strokes!!

cheers

Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

You don't drill the crank case. Only drill the airbox where the breather hose goes in. It looks like there is a big hole that goes through the air box, but it steps down to a very small hole. Take a drill bit and heat it up with a propane torch and then just push the bit through. Quick and easy and no shavings. You will reuse the same breather hose.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

follow the hose from the motor all the back to where it connects to the air box. it'll be on the brake pedal side of the bike. disconnect the hose from the air box.. the inside hole will be small than the outside. making the inside diameter larger is all there is to it. once you clean it all up reconnect the hose and your done.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Cheers for the heads up on that, there I was thinking that I had to get a seperate breather and re-route some new hose.....!
So, I use the dj kit for klx300 and the needle is set on slot #3 from the top down....what would be the advantage of moving the clip up one notch...? Only asking as I have read in another thread that someone had the same set up but on #2...?

many thanks.......carb is stil on the table!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:57 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nosneb69

Cheers for the heads up on that, there I was thinking that I had to get a seperate breather and re-route some new hose.....!
So, I use the dj kit for klx300 and the needle is set on slot #3 from the top down....what would be the advantage of moving the clip up one notch...? Only asking as I have read in another thread that someone had the same set up but on #2...?

many thanks.......carb is stil on the table!
If you move the clip up to notch2, you'll be leaning it out a little. The closer the clip to the "needle tip" end (of the needle)the richer you will be, the closer to the "butt" end, the leaner you will be.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nosneb69

cheers
Cheers? Are you from outside the US? If so your bike may have a different setup. I know the Oz bikes have the restriction in the hose & you can just remove it & hook it back together with a straight section. I am not sure if they have this in instead of the US-airbox orifice or in addition to it, but if you are from outside the US check it out. It should be a black piece of plastic in between two sections of hose that runs from the case to the airbox.

Quick Reply: crank case breather mod -- question...