couple of KLX questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default couple of KLX questions

I've owned about 20 bikes over the last 42 years of riding-many of them dual-sports (though we didn't used to call them that). I have a KLR650 right now, and its a great bike-as a commuter and occasional off-roader. Before that I put 10,000 miles on a nice 2001 KLR250. That bike was a blast on the rough stuff.Since my commute has changed from a 65 mile round trip via freeways, to a 15 mile backroad commute, I find myself thining of getting back onto a smaller dual sport. The 650, while its a great street bike, is a might bit of a pig for the kind of riding I used to do on the 250. So, the new KLX250 is a bike that interests me more and more. Alas, I guess the day of the kick started duallie is over. Speaking of the new KLX now-what are owners getting for gas mileage in mpg? My KLR250 got in the 80's during the first 500 mile/keeping it under 4000 rpm breakin period.Later, after breakin was over, and when I was doing the freeway commute on it, it averaged about 66-68 mpg. But I understand the tank is smaller on the KLX? As I recall, the KLR250 tank held 2.4 gallons, with either 1.0, or .8 gallons in reserve. What does the KLX hold, and how far are some of you able to go before reserve? Thats where the 650 is king, with its 6.1 gallon tank. On the KLR250, I was able to adjust the valves and it had screw type adjusters.I understand the KLX has shims Are these shim-under buckets?

Thanks for any comments you could make on these subjects for me.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA

Old 10-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: couple of KLX questions

Hey Jon, Puyallup huh? Cool I have a brother-n-law in Tacoma, and I get to Puyallup a couple of time a year. Let me see if I can answer a few of your questions. You can get a kick start kit, but I'm not all that interested in splitting the case to add it. The mileage? Well back in July on a Poker run I got 60 mpg. I guess its like everything else it depends on how you ride. I usually hit reserve around 70 to 80 miles. The tank is a 1.9 gal, while the wife's 2006 XT 225 is a 2.4. As far as the valves? I don't know about them as I don't or won't do anything inside the engine until the 5 year warranty runs out, I just don't have the confidence and know how to mess with anything that has more than two moving parts. Welcome and I'm sure someone here can help you out on any thing else you might come up

Old 10-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The gas mileage you were seeing on your KLR250 is simlar with what you can expect with the KLX. I generally get around 60 to 65 post break-in with several mods. I don't recall when reserve kicks in, but I'd usually fill up at around 80 or 90 miles. However, one of the first mods I did to my bike was to install the 3.2 gallon IMS tank - it's a little work but well worth it IMO. Now I don't start looking to fill up until I reach around 150 miles or so and based on my mileage I think I have around a 200 to 210 mile range, but I've never ran complete out to test that empirically.

The KLX does have shims under buckets for valve adjustment. They are easy to check, but you have to remove the cam to change the shims. It's not too bad, I've done it and if you get creative with zip-ties you don't have to re-time the cams. There's a thread here somewhere with lots of photos of the valve job - search for "valve 3200" in the thread title and I think you will find it.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej
You can get a kick start kit, but I'm not all that interested in splitting the case to add it.
Deej, just FYI, I think we determined a while back that you don't need to split the case to add the optional kick starter.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

You can get a kick start kit, but I'm not all that interested in splitting the case to add it.
Deej, just FYI, I think we determined a while back that you don't need to split the case to add the optional kick starter.
I don't see how you can do it because its another gear to place in there, but I've been known to be wrong....I can't remember when, but I have

Oh and Jon in Puyallup sorry I didn't realize you have been on the site for quite some time, but glad to see you thinking about the KLX.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I don't see how you can do it because its another gear to place in there, but I've been known to be wrong....I can't remember when, but I have
Yep, it's not at all clear by looking on the Kawi parts site, but it's pretty clear in the factory service manual.
All you have to do is remove the right side engine cover, and the whole shebang should slide right out/in...
(the "whole shebang" referring to the kick-starter assembly)

Old 10-03-2006, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, being a 52 year old (soon to be 52), my early street-only bikes were kick only, as were all bikes back then. Its just that I don't care for the idea of trying to push start some dual-sport bike that might be in the mud or on a rough trail, mayb with lots of big rocks or something.That sone reason I bought the KLR250-kick start.It was also super easy to start too. And, it would still run and get you back even with a totally dead battery.
I probably wouldn't go to the exspense of adding a kick start though-I'd just live with the electric.
And in my state-Washington-you can't convert a dirt bike to street legal like you used to be able to, so your pretty much limited to existing dual sport bikes.
Yes, I have been a member for a while, as I'm always interested in a new dual-sport bike, or new thumper for that matter (as when the Buell Blast came out-a new street thumper!!).