a couple head pipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default a couple head pipe questions

Does anyone know what material the FSW header for the 300is made of and is it of a larger diameter than the stock pipe? I am assuming that the Muzzy full system is the same system as the one for the 300 correct? If so, does anybody know if the header from the system is the same length as the stock 300 exhaust header. Also is the header available seperatly. What I was thinking was, if the muzzy header was the same length as the stock 300 header and you could get it seperatly you would be able to have a stainless header of larger dia. and use a more attractive slip on for the 300, like maybe the procircuit. And why we are on the subject of exhausts has anybody looked at or considered a FSW header and the pipe they have to go with it for a full exhaust system?

Old 04-13-2007, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: a couple head pipe questions

Sorry, cant give you any info on the Muzzy header. My guess is that it is not the same length as the stock header, since that system and also the Muzzy slip-on were designed for the KLX300.

The is someone on this forum who is running with the FSW headpipe and muffler, but I don't recall who it is. The FSW headpipe is made out of 'hard hitting alloy' per statement at their website. It is definitely larger diameter than the stock pipe though.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got the FSW header and muffler. The FSW header is much bigger in diameter than the stock one. It's different in length from the 250H stock header, butI think it's thesame length as the 300R stock header. This is based on the fact thata lot of guys over on Thumper Talk run their bikes with the FSW header and stock 300R muffler.

The FSW header is definitely not made of aluminum.It'ssome kind of coated steel.

I could be wrong, but I think the Muzzy comes in three pieces: a head pipe, a mid-pipe, and the muffler.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 PM

I used a 300 headpipe (stock, and same diameter as the 250 pipe) with the Muzzy 300 slipon and midpipe. I don't know what the stock 300 headpipe is made of, but it appears to be stainless...a magnet didn't stick to it. The 250 heatshield is also identical to the 300.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I didn't think that the fsw header was made out of aluminum. Can anyone verify if a magnet sticks to it though. Navklx what do you think of the fsw muffler. I have also seen that a lot of 300 owners are running the fsw header with the stock muffler.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:32 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

I wish members would post the I.D. of their aftermarket/differentheadpipes so we could compare them to stock. I see people writing about how much bigger the aftermarket pipe is but I never get any numbers

Old 04-14-2007, 07:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I never did measure it....but .......I bought an FMF powercoreIV and it fit's over the FSW headpipe......no good.......I used my handy ol Hobart Tig and welded the slot's closed in the pipe and I cut 2 new slots in the FMF pipe and I also got a new Dixon stainless clamp to cover it.......A slight modification.....

Old 04-14-2007, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NavKLX

The FSW header is definitely not made of aluminum.It'ssome kind of coated steel.
My bad. I meant to write 'hard hitting alloy.' I imagine a larger percentage of that 'alloy' is steel. Sorry about the carless proofread.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1w=no$

Thanks, I didn't think that the fsw header was made out of aluminum.
Sorry, I was thinking one thing andwriting another. I should have wrote 'hard hitting alloy.'

An aluminum headpipe wouldn't last through the warm-up[8D]

Old 04-14-2007, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

If you read the fsw web page the muffler has the same description as the head pipe, I think someone was lazy and and just copy and pasted the description without actually reading it. It makes a lot more sense when you read it about the muffler. Truckman do you have any pics of your exhaust, I would like to see what you had to mod. Does the fsw header taper down to where it meets the muffler or was the fmf pipe just that much more bigger than the fsw header.

Quick Reply: a couple head pipe questions