Costa Rica Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Costa Rica Ride Report

Bonafide,.... probably a little wacko, but I've always been I've had to run from pirates once coming back from the bahamas....shots were exchanged.

Talca, I worked in Miami as a site engineer for 5 years so I know a lil Spanglish....food, bathroom, beer, azz-#$@! basic stuff........ Indian hand signals can usually get your message across the world over.

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1
Great report!
I made the unfortunate choice to return fire on a small group of monkeys that threw fruit at me one evening on a trip thru Central America a few years back. I wound up running for my life as more monkeys came out of the woodwork and switched to heavier artillery (rocks). I sure love much of the scenery and people in those countries.

ROFLMAO.....ZX you would be rich if you had that on video.....I wasn't about to F' with the monkeys.

ol guy, I would have luved to have had a riding partner, I bypassed some cool stuff because I was alone and was concerned the heavy pig may have been too much for me alone in a bad spot.

Rest of the pics coming up.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Day 3

Today's plan is to head to Liberia for the night and explore Rincon de la Vieja tomorrow. It's a volcanic national park that looked cool on the map..... and I needed a break from river crossings and wanted to see somthin different.

But life never seems to go as planned, I wake up to a flat rear tire, well break out the tire irons and patch kit, tire repair Costa style.

Name:  DSC01127.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  121.5 KB

So after the tire repair, a couple liters of water for me (it was hot and I'm from Florida) and breakfast....I'm off at about 11am.

Here's a pic of the route I rode today, a little slab and lots of hard pack curvy dirt roads with no cars = Slab **** fun Mole Style.

This part of Costa was mostly pasture cattle land, not too much to see but a fun nice change.

Name:  DSC01128.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  104.2 KB

Then in the middle of nowhere I come across this "Bar" somewhere between Filadelfia and Liberia.....so I pull over and take a monkey butt break. These two locals INSIST I have a Cervesa and a Tequila Shot..... well considering I had not seen a car in over two hours, I was ATGATT and that I still had another hour of desolate dirt roads....I comply.....ya know ...when in Rome.

The rest of the days riding was uneventful and I made it to Liberia, plugged the camera in the charger and had some fun with the locals for the night.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Those guys will probably never know that they are on the Internet......or what the Internet even is.[8D]

Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 AM

All I can say is WOW! I would love to do something like your trip while I am still able. Chance of a life time for sure. Yet I wonder is there anything like this in the good old USA?

Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Nothing like that in the States.
When you ride around down there (I went from California to Panama and back in 2005) you feel almost special, it is easy to find a friendly person and assistance if you need and even if you don't (you just can’t be in a big hurry for said help to actually arrive).
During most stops you'll generally have inquisitive and smiling locals gather, the more remote the town the more inquisitive they usually are especially once it is discerned that you are a foreigner.
Even Mexico is a great place to ride once you get south of the boarder towns.
Here in the U.S you can be half dead lying on the side of the road and people will honk and call you names as they drive by.
P.S: I was also surprised at the availability of good phone and Internet service in some areas where I was expecting none.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 AM

Imperial beer!!!!! Holy shiite mullet. I cant believe you drank that horse pee. Man, I'm getting all weepy-eyed thinking about enjoying some of the worse tasting beer in the world.

First time I heard Howler Monkeys - it was 3am - just starting to rain - and I was sitting in the middle of the jungle. I thought a 1000lb monster was coming to eat me and I promptly crapped myself.

I had to take forced vacation over thanksgiving as well -but my timewasspenttaking care of a long list of honey-do's that I've been putting off since May.I stayed at home and painted the bedroom, thebreaksfest room, the living room,hadpool tabke techsset up our pool table in the dining room (The GFs suggestion - she's the best) and then fuss'd over my female GSD whileshe had 10 puppies - and I still have another week's worth off from work.I have managed one day of riding the KLX and one day in the N. Georgia mountains on my Triumph - so all isnt lost. I'm thinking I'll spend tomorrow scoutin some forest access roads on the KLX or install the Clarke tank I bought. I do know this ...mullet - you have motivated me to the point that I knowwhat I'm going to do and where I'm going for next year's vacation.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Day 4

I check out of my hotel early, because they don't serve breakfast or even coffee, so I'm off on a back road I saw on my map that should take me to Rincon......I'll stop for breakfast and coffee on the way. I'm on the bike by 7:30 am.

Here's a pic of the path I rode today.

Name:  costa_ricaDayFourMap.gif
Views: 138
Size:  292.8 KB

On this path to Rincon I spot a sign that says International Restarant with Breakfast....some sort of bed and breakfast I assume......it's just outside the Rincon Nat. Park......so I follow the sign's directions upa steep rutted out road.

Looks good so far.

Name:  DSC01135.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  114.9 KB

This place is cool

The view from the table

Name:  DSC01132.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  98.0 KB

Breakfast...first course

Name:  DSC01133.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  141.2 KB

After some excellent hueves (eggs), papas (potatoes) and tostones (plantains) I'm off....btw breakfast was $1,900 colones (<$4 dollars)

There's a volcano up there somewhere.

Name:  DSC01136.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  105.1 KB

Well as it turns out ya can't ride a bike or car up to the top of the volcano......it's like a seven hour hike......so I just cruise around the park and take it in.......it's nice and cool ...mid 50s

Name:  DSC01137.jpg
Size:  174.9 KB

Name:  DSC01138.jpg
Size:  191.2 KB

Sulfur pit area.....nature always amazes me.

Name:  DSC01140.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  144.2 KB

Well at this point I had enough of the volcano and wanted to do some fun riding, I find a local with no shirt and dreads (obvious surfer) driving a mini van full of tourists to the volcano and asked him where he would ride if he was me........no hesitation......his answer was Santa Rosa.

Woo Hooo gotta luv locals I'm off!! Looks like a 1:45 minutes away.

Santa Rosa is a killer national rainforest park as it turns out. Path into the park.

Name:  DSC01144.jpg
Size:  189.7 KB

Yeah some more fun riding

Name:  DSC01147.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  DSC01156.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  158.9 KB
I hate rocks

Name:  DSC01149.jpg
Size:  189.3 KB

This trail is supposed to lead to the beach, I must almost be there, but mangroves.....I'm a Florida Boy and I KNOW mud is real soft around the groves, but hey I know what I doing....I'm a Cracker

Name:  DSC01153.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  164.7 KB

LOL BIG MISTAKE.......Shortly after this pic I'm stuck like no tomorrow....lol......It takes me about two hours to dig, push, etc the bike out.....by then it's dark.....I never saw a person the whole time and almost hiked it out....but it was 21 km. [:@]

So I get the bike loose and go thru all the above pics in the dark and stop at the picnic table/camping area it's now about 7pm.

Name:  DSC01159.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  105.0 KB

Not a single person in the camping area.....and the howler monkeys are howling...lol

Name:  DSC01161.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  59.4 KB

Alright I'm beat......I got some h20.....and it's over an hour to the closest village....I'm camping...damn it's dark...I need a fire.

Name:  DSC01158.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  77.0 KB

Hey this is kind of nice....excellent stars and a nice full moon.

Name:  DSC01169.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  49.6 KB

I'll check back in the morning, unless the howler monkeys get me .... lol......but I got fire

Name:  DSC01157.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  17.0 KB

Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow, what an adventure! Fire 1, Howler monkey 0.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:10 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Dude, you're my new hero, If I was on a deserted island I would want you there........well not like that, I mean you know what I mean.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, that looks beatiful.

If only I could be you

Some day i'll have the money to pick a country, crate my bike over, and just spend a month riding around and finding myself...

Quick Reply: Costa Rica Ride Report