Coolest ride yet

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Coolest ride yet

I rolled out this morning with a temp. of 3 deg. F. and snowing so I do mean cool. A buddy has a bike shop and gave me some Firstgear stuff to try out. I picked out a 65 watt heated jacket liner and 45 watt gloves. That stuff is fantastic!!!! Plugs into my battery tender outlet and has an adjustable heat level control. I ride 13 miles to work and was snug as a bug in a rug!! The down side is it didn't help with traction at all. lol A bit pricey at about 110$ per item but man does it work. Has anybody else tried this gear yet?

Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

nah havent tried out any of that gear,, sounds like it be sweet though,,

Old 01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

What are you using for a "battery tender outlet?" Do you have pix and/or installation instructions? BTW, it was the same temp here in Maine this morning. I would love to have some of that gear!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by roverdude
I rolled out this morning with a temp. of 3 deg. F. and snowing so I do mean cool. A buddy has a bike shop and gave me some Firstgear stuff to try out. I picked out a 65 watt heated jacket liner and 45 watt gloves. That stuff is fantastic!!!! Plugs into my battery tender outlet and has an adjustable heat level control. I ride 13 miles to work and was snug as a bug in a rug!! The down side is it didn't help with traction at all. lol A bit pricey at about 110$ per item but man does it work. Has anybody else tried this gear yet?
That's really not a bad price for heated gear. Just look at what's being sold by Gerbings and Kanetsu at the Arrowstich website.

I've heard good things about Firstgear heated clothing. It's made by a company named Warm-n-Safe which makes heated gear for more than one company. They use traditional element wire and sometimes require a separate 'Heat Troller' to control the temp.

I've also heard very good review of Tourmaster Synergy heated clothing. Their products use carbon fiber panels. Their prices are also very reasonable. Most reviews report never having to go past the low setting on the INCLUDED controller.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Dennis Kirk also has heated vests, gloves, arm and leg chaps. Chapparal also has heated gear by Tourmaster. I usally just wear extreme weather long johns, insulated denim pants and jacket with Thinsulate(sportsmanguide.com) boots with Thinsulate and a good wind jacket. I've ridden down to 35F, but 3F and snowing. Thats the love of the bike for sure!!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I sure as heck wouldn't drive on the road in this weather even with proper gear thats just crazy. It was around 10*F today

Old 01-16-2009, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

The cold weather here is brutal, I hate it. I was off from work today, but have to work tommorrow morning. It is -5 F here right now. The high will be 7 on Friday, yippee, I am outdoors all day. I'm gonna take my Thor all weather riding pants with me as an extra layer of protection if I need it. There is still some dirt on them from the past ride, I was going to wash it off, but screw it, if it's cold enough to wear them over my postal uniform, throw out the rulebook.

It will start warming up on Saturday here. On Sunday morning I plan to start the KLX up. Just to keep the bike in good running order. Of course, it is difficult for me to just warm up a bike without taking a least a little ride on it......

Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lostnite66
The cold weather here is brutal, I hate it. I was off from work today, but have to work tommorrow morning. It is -5 F here right now. The high will be 7 on Friday, yippee, I am outdoors all day. I'm gonna take my Thor all weather riding pants with me as an extra layer of protection if I need it. There is still some dirt on them from the past ride, I was going to wash it off, but screw it, if it's cold enough to wear them over my postal uniform, throw out the rulebook.

It will start warming up on Saturday here. On Sunday morning I plan to start the KLX up. Just to keep the bike in good running order. Of course, it is difficult for me to just warm up a bike without taking a least a little ride on it......
Haha! I've though about wearing cycle gear at work, but the company provides for us pretty well.

My bike just sits in one of the garages at work hooked to an Optimate 3 batt maintainer/conditioner. I start it at least once per week though.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Randy49
Dennis Kirk also has heated vests, gloves, arm and leg chaps. Chapparal also has heated gear by Tourmaster. I usally just wear extreme weather long johns, insulated denim pants and jacket with Thinsulate(sportsmanguide.com) boots with Thinsulate and a good wind jacket. I've ridden down to 35F, but 3F and snowing. Thats the love of the bike for sure!!
Motorcycle Superstore now carries Tourmaster, First Gear and EXo2 heated clothing...all good stuff.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank god I'll never need heated gear

Quick Reply: Coolest ride yet