Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Read the back label, look for a product that states "non silicated" or doesn't show any kind of silcates on the ingredients list. Some may argue this but it has been in print in many manuals for years, and I've personally experience the associated problems. 50/50 is the correct ratio. Stuff like water wetter (or products that come with it) works for a short time, then the benefits disappears. Unless your into changing fluid often and think you need it, I'd skip it. As far as I can tell these little klx's don't have cooling issues.

Name:  coolant-crf.jpg
Views: 2856
Size:  106.9 KB

Last edited by RimBender; 04-21-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:51 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

My gosh, RimBender...what are you?...mad? Suggesting putting Honda coolant in a Kawasaki? That's treason.

Yeah, the instructions in my KLR650 manual are almost verbatim what that text says, and the same applies equally to the KLX. That's the reason I stated earlier that I wasn't that high on those biodegradeable coolants. Just about all the Japanese manufacturers recommend only ethylene glycol based coolants. I figure they know something.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I use the Honda stuff, too. Here's why:

Pre-mixed.
Compatible with aluminum.
Convenient sized bottles.

Ron

Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Prestone 50/50 pre-mix extended life coolant is silicate free.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

FWIW, I don't use honda's coolant, just had my crf manual handy when i posted. Think supertech walmarche stuff is in most my toys.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Thanks

Thanks guys for all the info. I ended up getting some engine ice of e-bay for around $20 and will put that in when it comes. I also received the aftermarket DRC radiator hoses that I ordered out of Japan and threw them on the bike. I will post some pics here when I can get out to the garage.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Pics

Here she is with the new hose. Kind of an oxymoron, but anyway, she has changed a bit since the last time I posted pics. Kenda tires, zeta handguards, new bars, adonized red bolts and plugs, and some decals for the kx fork guards. I know, I know mostly cosmetic but I am a vain person and like the way it looks. I considered the 351 kit, but figured this one goes plenty fast for me with the exhaust and jetting so I will leave the engine as it is for now. Thanks again for the coolant advice. Oh yeah, notice the larger hose has a coupling in the middle. They must manufacture them in two pieces but then don't send you a coupling or extra tightening rings, but found a brass PEX connection from home depot and fit jsut about perfect. I'll let you know if it leeks or burns my shins with hot fluid.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant-dsc04936-1.jpg   Coolant-dsc04938.jpg   Coolant-dsc04939.jpg  
Old 04-22-2010, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Bike looks good! How much were your kendra tires? How do you like them?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I believe I got them off e-bay for $75 to $90 for the pair of them. I figured that was a dang good deal for these. I haven't ridden them much yet, but they feel a lot better than those stock dunlops. I'm almost not sure how to ride them yet since they are so much different. I have trust issues with this bike because of the previous pair so I haven't leaned on them too much yet.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Which kendas did you get? I think fairly highly of the 760s in dirt, little squirmy on the street until they wear in, then acceptable for a knobby tire that has a DOT stamp. No idea how they are in the rain though, i try to not put myself in that predicament.

Quick Reply: Coolant