Convert KLX 250 to EFI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I was just trying to be funny. Maybe I'll try again at a later date.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

20 hp more with EFI? seriously

Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

There are many pros and cons about FI bikes. I know well about them, I'm designing custom electronics for engines since quite some years now. My FI KLX is one side project of these activities. I don't claim I am the last authority on this subject, but I have more experience than most people.

Overall, I consider fuel injection for dirt bikes to be a highly preferential matter, depending on whether one values simplicity and reliability over functionality and versatility. For a street bike, I have no doubt that FI is best.

In any case, I would say converting a carb bike to FI is worthwhile only as a hobby project. Don't do it unless it is for fun.

To answer the OP about pros and cons: well, the list is too long sorry. This is probably answered somewhere on the net anyway

Old 04-19-2012, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

There are only two ways to get 20HP more out of the KLX.
1. Nitrous
2. Make it into a smoker.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't do it.......get a TM33 pumper carb & have a blast!

Speaking from the Asian & Australian EFi market, it's hard enough getting the MAPPING right without the use of piggyback controllers or fully programmable ecu units, like I run. Our bikes come out of the factory EFi & can still be a pain in the a$$.....but when they run sweet, they definitely run better than a carby.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLXHunter
20 hp more with EFI? seriously
Dead serious. 7th gear wheelies all day long.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Self
Ahh, I didn't mean that. I got stabbed by one of those sharp spears hidden in my french cut green beans, and I lashed out. I apologize.
That's the thing about green beans... ya gotta be careful with them!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: Cheshire, in between the Welsh hilly bits and the Peak district hilly bits - just about in the North

Easy EFI - buy a bike from one of the areas where it comes free with your bike (UK, Thailand, Brazil?, Australia? Etc). And be un-impressed at the performance.

Then short out the clutch switch and find a nice bit of extra go plus no soft limiter in the higher gears. Ever tried a 70mph overtake to find yourself on the wrong side of the road slowing down, such fun.

(if you have a EFI bike try stuffing a short bit of stiff wire across the outer terminals of the clutch handlebar switch, make it look descreet and be amazed at the new bike you've got. Just try not to start in gear with sidestand up, only do that once thou') - if it is not for you its a 5sec convert to standard.

However, you do a dash light that says "FI" so that makes it worth having.

Now remove tongue from cheek.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

The dyno's I've seen from efi bikes are about the same or weaker than the carbed ones, they might start better than the the carbed ones in cold weather and that would be a plus.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I think we'll see EFI on the US model KLX250S in the next year or two. The newest emissions regs are going to pretty much require it. So if you're stuck on EFI, just wait a year or two and you'll be set.

Me, I'm VERY glad I have a carb.

Rob

Quick Reply: Convert KLX 250 to EFI?