Considering a 2021 KLX300, engine vibration question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm also a new klx300SM owner. Kawasaki did a good job on the counter rotating balancer in the engine because it's very smooth compared to my DRZ400SM..

Old 04-13-2021, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I have finally decided that I will buy a KLX300 when they become available. All sold out in NorCal. Thank you all for replying !
After all my research I have become very fond of the KLX and its' heritage. Quite a lot of history going back close to 30 years if we include the original KLX250R. Include the KLR (or the legendary KDX model for design influences) and the history goes back even more.
The new 2021 KLX 300 is probably in its' best form to date. With all the accumulative updates the bike is looking very attractive. Went from 100% going to buy a WR250R (saving all 2020 to buy the WR), to must get the Honda CRF300L for the new design and price. And now I am definitely digging the KLX the most !
The design has also really grown on me. It has the classic dirt bike look and build. KLX has quality suspension (KYB front and back). CRF no comparison. WRR has nice KYB front forks but questionable Soqi rear (will eventually need a rebound rebuild according to lots of rider comments). I just want a bike I can keep stock for most of my riding.
The KLX is a better fit for my needs. It has taken me a good few months of back and forth with these dual sports. I am glad to have finally come to a 100% decision that I "want" to buy the KLX300. Excited now, ironically all sold out and waiting on next availability.
Here is a great article on the 2021 KLX300. https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/ka...-klx300-review

Last edited by Miyamaedaira; 04-13-2021 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I really want to like the CRF-300L/Rally and it definitely has some nice features. However, it lacks the suspension IMHO for real off-road riding; assuming more than forestry service roads and gentle pastures that most street bikes could handle.

I have taken my KLX-250S down some trails that were a challenge even for some of the KTM 2-Strokes that rode with us. If you have the rider skill to manage the single-track, the KLX will get you to the other end of the trail.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I also had trouble finding a new 300. Two dealers were out. While the third dealer showed 3 in stock online, by the time I went there only one remained so I bought it.

This is my first Kawasaki and I like it a LOT. I believe you will too.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, all the small displacement options are selling super fast. Classic supply and demand when there is at least one person more than the available supply.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
I really want to like the CRF-300L/Rally and it definitely has some nice features. However, it lacks the suspension IMHO for real off-road riding; assuming more than forestry service roads and gentle pastures that most street bikes could handle.

I have taken my KLX-250S down some trails that were a challenge even for some of the KTM 2-Strokes that rode with us. If you have the rider skill to manage the single-track, the KLX will get you to the other end of the trail.

Thank you for all your replies !

Old 04-13-2021, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
I also had trouble finding a new 300. Two dealers were out. While the third dealer showed 3 in stock online, by the time I went there only one remained so I bought it.

This is my first Kawasaki and I like it a LOT. I believe you will too.
Great to hear. Congrats on your cool SM. Cheers.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sid Post
Yes, all the small displacement options are selling super fast. Classic supply and demand when there is at least one person more than the available supply.
Mine was $8,000 out the door in California, and it was practically the CHEAPEST bike at the dealer!

I've also noticed production disruptions in other products. Home Depot has been sold out of Siemens circuit breakers for months. They are a VERY common breaker. I have two jobs waiting for them. In my opinion shortages are going to get worse. I count myself lucky to have been able to get the bike as I use it for daily utility transportation in my business.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Miyamaedaira
I have finally decided that I will buy a KLX300 when they become available. All sold out in NorCal. Thank you all for replying !
After all my research I have become very fond of the KLX and its' heritage. Quite a lot of history going back close to 30 years if we include the original KLX250R. Include the KLR (or the legendary KDX model for design influences) and the history goes back even more.
The new 2021 KLX 300 is probably in its' best form to date. With all the accumulative updates the bike is looking very attractive. Went from 100% going to buy a WR250R (saving all 2020 to buy the WR), to must get the Honda CRF300L for the new design and price. And now I am definitely digging the KLX the most !
The design has also really grown on me. It has the classic dirt bike look and build. KLX has quality suspension (KYB front and back). CRF no comparison. WRR has nice KYB front forks but questionable Soqi rear (will eventually need a rebound rebuild according to lots of rider comments). I just want a bike I can keep stock for most of my riding.
The KLX is a better fit for my needs. It has taken me a good few months of back and forth with these dual sports. I am glad to have finally come to a 100% decision that I "want" to buy the KLX300. Excited now, ironically all sold out and waiting on next availability.
Here is a great article on the 2021 KLX300. https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/ka...-klx300-review
Did you buy it? If history is any indication, the KLX300SM might only be a two model year bike. Maybe 3 since 2021 was a short model year. This is what happened in 2009 when the KLX250SF was introduced alongside the redesigned KLX250S. Only available in 2009 and 2010 model years. I tried to find one in 2011 and the closest 2010 was 10 hours away so I ended up buying a 2012 KLX250S.
I had to go 5 hours away to pick up my new 2021 KLX300SM, but that was to the the correct color. My local dealers only got blue, and the ones in stock wanted crazy profit fees on top of the price.

Regarding vibration, both the 2012 KLX250S and the 2021 KLX300SM have a high frequency buzz that is especially noticeable at high RPMs, but what is really noticeable is the tingling in my fingers after riding for a while.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by twowheeladdict
Did you buy it? If history is any indication, the KLX300SM might only be a two model year bike. Maybe 3 since 2021 was a short model year. This is what happened in 2009 when the KLX250SF was introduced alongside the redesigned KLX250S. Only available in 2009 and 2010 model years. I tried to find one in 2011 and the closest 2010 was 10 hours away so I ended up buying a 2012 KLX250S.
I had to go 5 hours away to pick up my new 2021 KLX300SM, but that was to the the correct color. My local dealers only got blue, and the ones in stock wanted crazy profit fees on top of the price.

Regarding vibration, both the 2012 KLX250S and the 2021 KLX300SM have a high frequency buzz that is especially noticeable at high RPMs, but what is really noticeable is the tingling in my fingers after riding for a while.
~8,000RPM at ~80MPH on pretty much any motorcycle will make your fingers tingle from the buzz if you ride any length of time with it would up that tight.

Quick Reply: Considering a 2021 KLX300, engine vibration question?