Concealed Carry on this bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

It's tricky with laws from state to state, but as long as you're not crossing borders it stays sane.

Colorado also has the provision that your vehicle is an extension of your home and you may have a concealed weapon within it. Like the glove box, or the center console. This has been discussed and it also applies to motorcycles- but if you're wearing it on your person, you need a CC permit. At least this is what one of the lawyer-types in my CC class concluded.

Of course, this all depends on which police officer is checking you over. Open carry is also legal in most of Colorado (sans Denver) but you hear of people getting told it's illegal all the time.

In short, I'd get my CC permit and carry on my person if it was for self defense. Probably a side IWB holster just like usual. I've heard small of the back can has the potential for spinal injury if you happened to fall on it.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ya know what i think was freeking hilarious..... i go to get my permit, and got it and everything, but they dont tell you or give you any laws on what you can and cant do.... ive herd, dont know if its true or not, that you cant carry into banks, places that serve alcohol... and a bunch of other things... bunch of crap....

Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

bear encounter?

you want nothing smaller than a 45acp fo a bear - 357/44 magnum preffered so you are probably better off with a wheel gun (revolver)

Old 10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
ya know what i think was freeking hilarious..... i go to get my permit, and got it and everything, but they dont tell you or give you any laws on what you can and cant do.... ive herd, dont know if its true or not, that you cant carry into banks, places that serve alcohol... and a bunch of other things... bunch of crap....
www.carryconcealed.net is a great resource for that info as is www.opencarry.org

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kohburn
www.carryconcealed.net is a great resource for that info as is www.opencarry.org
Thanks. No bear encounters. Maybe a rabid coyote, but that's highly unlikely. Just a simple 9mm for "just in case" moments. Mostly concerned about people really.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Thanks. No bear encounters. Maybe a rabid coyote, but that's highly unlikely. Just a simple 9mm for "just in case" moments. Mostly concerned about people really.
yes the old 2 legged rat is the most viscious of predators.

I personally favor my ruger P95 - but I still want a keltec P3AT for those times I can't easily conceal the ruger.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I carry an F&N Five-seveN with two spare 20 round clips, in a Miami style shoulder harness, from Blade Tech.

It's a full size pistol, but, very light weight, about 1.6 pounds, loaded with a 20 round clip. I barely notice it and it's concealed by my riding jacket or shirt and easily accessible.

I figure, 20 rounds as quick as I can squeeze them off in a target area around 4 inches or less at 30 feet or more, and much more accurate at a slightly slower pace, should be sufficient to discourage any Cougar, Bear or other threat I run into in WA state.

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CRT_Leech
I carry an F&N Five-seveN with two spare 20 round clips, in a Miami style shoulder harness, from Blade Tech.

It's a full size pistol, but, very light weight, about 1.6 pounds, loaded with a 20 round clip. I barely notice it and it's concealed by my riding jacket or shirt and easily accessible.

I figure, 20 rounds as quick as I can squeeze them off in a target area around 4 inches or less at 30 feet or more, and much more accurate at a slightly slower pace, should be sufficient to discourage any Cougar, Bear or other threat I run into in WA state.

Laters,
CRT_Leech
That is a great looking handgun. Expensive though isn't it?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Did they not require a certificate for a class to get a concealed weapons permit? (Colorado does, but if you were ex-military, police, etc. there are exceptions.)

I am glad I took the class. A good chunk of it was explaining what the 60+ pages of legal statutes actually meant in English...it would take a 4th year law student to understand some of it.

Other big spots to not carry are post offices, schools, and federal buildings around here. Or any church that posts a no firearms sign. Or any place that asks you to leave because you're armed (which should NOT happen when it's "concealed". )We basically need a lockbox in the car for times we need to disarm.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kohburn
bear encounter?

you want nothing smaller than a 45acp fo a bear - 357/44 magnum preffered so you are probably better off with a wheel gun (revolver)
I agree totally, but understand that I'm not hunting bear, I just want to stop/scare off a bear. There are much better weapons for bear, but none of them are easy to carry and conceal. I want something that isn't a burden to carry like my .460 S&W, and that .45 Kimber seems to fit the bill.

In PA, they don't tell you what you can't do with a CC permit because there is nothing you can't do. You can walk into a bank, bar, or shopping mall carrying and you are completely legal. It's not encouraged, but it's legal. The only places you can't carry are court houses and government offices, but they always have large signs out front telling you that.

EDIT: I just checked my local county sheriff's website to make sure what I said was correct. It was, but there's more:

I have a license to carry a firearm. Are there places I cannot carry one even though I have the license?
Yes, it is unlawful to possess any firearm in any court facility, or within the building containing a court facility, federal office buildings, post offices, schools and school property, colleges, state and federal parks.

Last edited by mustang; 10-16-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Concealed Carry on this bike