Comprehensive list of service/maintenance points for KLX 250?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Comprehensive list of service/maintenance points for KLX 250?

Does the service manual include all relevant service/maintenance upkeep and the intervals in which it should all be performed?

I've done the major maintenance on my bike but haven't done any of the smaller stuff like greasing bushings and bearings. I noticed that two nuts were loose on my front axle (think top two bolts on the right side where the 4 bolts go that hold the axle on) and it's come to my attention that I need to go through this thing with a fine tooth comb and get everything checked out and lubed up for safety and maintenance reasons. I'm on my spring break this coming week so I figured that it would be a fun task to go through and check everything out.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you have a service manual?

Get some locktite on those axle block nuts. And most of the others on the bike as well.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Does the service manual include all relevant service/maintenance upkeep and the intervals in which it should all be performed?
They do along with other goodies to have on hand.

agreed^ with IDRIDR that blue thread lock is your best friend to accompany the manual.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

If you tighten nuts and bolts to proper torque you dont need thread locker. Thats the main reason i use the manual. Torque values. Ive never put locktite on any bolts or nuts and have never had anything fall off. just my opinion.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, I just knew that with the proper torque thing would show up. And, when using a lubricant or a thread locker that the torque specs would get altered or used at all. You just had to do this EMS, lol

but for exterior fasteners, yes, thread locker such as body work or rearsets, etc..
Pinch bolts, swingarm, etc, proper torque is needed.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Just sayin....

I dont like using thread locker unless i have a problem with stuff vibrating out, but lets be serious, we arent talking about harley davidsons... On 2 honda street bikes and 2 kawasaki dual sports, ive never had stuff vibrate out. I also tend to tighten stuff a little more than needed.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Between my HD and Track rides and others, I have acquired some modified mechanic preferences. Not saying it is 100% accurate with others' needs or warranties.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
Between my HD and Track rides and others, I have acquired some modified mechanic preferences. Not saying it is 100% accurate with others' needs or warranties.
One day after a ride on the KLX i was at the top of the driveway spraying off all the mud, and a HD came by. We were bs'ing a bit and i have no idea what he said, i just stood there in amazement on how much the bike vibrated... it was ridiculous.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
If you tighten nuts and bolts to proper torque you dont need thread locker. Thats the main reason i use the manual. Torque values. Ive never put locktite on any bolts or nuts and have never had anything fall off. just my opinion.
I'm just a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy when it comes to stuff falling off. I even have a tube of blue in the tool bag.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im just a belt guy, i dont mind my pants falling down for everyone to laugh at every once in awhile.

Quick Reply: Comprehensive list of service/maintenance points for KLX 250?