Commuting to Work!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Default Commuting to Work!

well, here's today's ramblings:
After having several bikes in the last several years, I've concluded that between work and family, most of my opportunities to ride are commuting to work and home. So, part of my "justification" for the KLX250 was fuel savings as well as fun. The bike is still totally stock, too. Today, I rode to work-about 25 miles-and thought I'd report how a stock bike can perform. This is two-lane road, with 55mph speed limit, and most traffic does 70+. Sooo, I went with it today-passed the slow folks, three of them, who were doing the speed limit. I had the same SUV on my butt half the ride so I stayed ahead of him. Ended up going about 70-75 the whole way. So yes, a stock bike can cruise at 70+ on open road. I had it up to 80 once, while passing a Ford Festiva who was fighting to hold 60. Really didn't have to stay wfo either. This bike is surprising when you keep it revved up and shift fast enough, as it actually accelerates pretty well. Not like a v-max, but enough to be fun and enough to smoke most cars up to a certain speed. I'm going to add a Pelican tailtrunk soon too. Now I have a real good Targus computer bag/knapsack that I carry all my day's junk in, which works ok. Need someplace to keep lunch though! Anybody thought of making removable saddlebag supports, sort of like you see on the bmw r1200 GS Adventure bikes? three Pelicans...mini-dirt-tour bike...hmmm.
doc

Old 07-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Default RE: Commuting to Work!

neurodoc4u,

Sure does sound like you are building the KLX250S into an . . . . . . "Adventure Bike" ! ! !

I would love to be able to ride the KLX250 to and from work. I probably could do it, but with the traffic I have to contend with, there is no reserve available to remove myself from "Harm's Way" in the event I need to. Besides 100 miles a day on the KLX250 and I'd be walking like John Wayne did, back injury and all.

You might want to do some research into the weight limitation of the sub-frame of the KLX250S before you start adding a lot of stuff to it. I know A16Tony had some problems when he had an auxillary gas tank mounted on the luggage rack!

Pictures, lots of pictures!

Old 07-14-2006, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Doc, I bought a set of soft saddlebags for my BMW, they are fairly small but have plenty of room for a day trip or more. The other day I was patching one becuase it.... umm, had a burn hole from my exhuast. Anyway, while I was letting the patch cure I threw the bags over the KLX for a place to dry. They look great on the KLX, they rest against the number plates, so the exhuast will not be a problem like my BMW.

This is just a file photo, mine are black.

I bought mine locally for $130.00, but I see them on the net for the same or less. They are Cortech Sport Saddlebags. http://www.motodepot.com/product_list.php?cid=1089

I'll get some pics this afternoon of the KLX with bags and post them here.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:30 PM

Great idea Sully. I commute on the KLX to work, and I end up with a very heavy backpack everyday-have to fill it with food you know..Anyway, those bags would be perfect.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:39 PM

Sully, I like that idea. It's pretty simple! Marty, yes I know what you mean. The subframe doesn't look as strong as the rack. I did cinch down two ratchet straps on it when I bought the bike, though, and tested it pretty good! Weight in those saddlebags would be much lower though, so I still love that idea. Glad they fit-I was wondering.
thanks
doc

Old 07-14-2006, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

The good thing about the saddle bags is the weight is on the rear part of the seat not the subframe. The photo posted shows them on the very rear end of that bike, but they don't sit like that on the KLX. I'll get pics asap.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, got some pics during my lunch break. These are not strapped on, just sitting there. The bags come with quick release straps, that can be mounted almost anywhere. I figure one strap on the frame near the rear footpeg. Another strap on the bottom part of the luggage rack.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:45 PM

Nice pics, Sully! that looks just right, too. Not too bulky, but enough to hold useful items.
Thanks!
doc

Old 07-15-2006, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I ride 30 miles one way to work and sometimes I'll put my 39 liter Shad topcase off my '77 Suzuki GS 550 on the KLX. I just throw my soft side cooler and thermos in it, not much weight at all.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1198/92A713BB9605479CB5179EB30EBB3275.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-15-2006, 05:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey sullydirt - those bags look great. I've actually been looking for something similar. I like the way the ride on the seat so weight is not an issue as it is on the rear rack. Not something I'd want on all the time, but definite good for commuting to throw in a rain suit or change of clothes.

Oh, djam101 - be careful of loading up the rear rack. I think its only rated for something like 12 lbs. I think it was a16tony that carried a gallon or two of extra fuel on his rack and it eventually fatiqued the sub-frame back there. [:@] Look like it might be tempting to load up some weight into that nice trunk you have. That's a great looking trunk, BTW, just don't carry much in it on this bike.

Quick Reply: Commuting to Work!