Communications

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Communications

Hi guys just wondering if any one out there uses bike to bike blue tooth communicators?

My brother and I have been using a cheap pair of communicators that we got off flea bay. They makes the riding so much better in the bush being able to talk to each other + we ride harder and are able to egg each other on.

Anyway the ones we have are just cheep ones but have a 1000mtr range (we get about that on the road but more like 300 – 400mtrs in the bush depending on hills, trees and stuff). They are good for the bush but being cheap the sound quality isn’t the best and on the open road they suck, as the wind noise over powers the microphone at speeds above 50kph. The other issue is that I have had to pull them apart and repair a couple of times because elements of the electronics have failed (battery died, aerial wire unsolders etc).

Like I said they are great but these were just cheap ones that we wanted to trail in-case we didn’t like them. Now that we know that communication is great while riding we are thinking of getting the good quality ones that are around and were wondering if any one had any experience with the Scala Rider G4 or sena SMH10? I know that they are pricey but well worth it in our opinion.

Last edited by neilapples; 09-08-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 AM
1st Gear Member

me and my friend want to get these too! curious to see what u come up with on here

Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I just repaired one for the second time (the other has only been taken apart once), but we did expect them to be pretty crap when we bought them for about $150 for the pair. We really just wanted to see if what it was like to communicate.

Like I said earlier we found that being able to talk to each other in the bush was great and now we cannot go back. We felt ridding with-out them at times that we have forgot them were our worst rides. We no longer stop and have a chat when we get to cross roads etc because we have been talking the whole time even when we are a few hundred mtrs apart.

currently the sound quality is a little scratchy (kind of like talking on a CB) and the cheap mic pics up to much ambient noise. I think the next step would be the Scala G4 as the sound quality looks great + they are designed for open faced helmets so a MX helmet should work fine.

We haven’t decided the next step but will keep you posted.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Dunno if I should do that, you dont want to know whats going on under my helmet when I get bored on the road.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, some of the stuff you hear from my brother (and probably me) when he forgets I can hear everything..... really funny.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Since reading your original post I have been looking at these toys with a lot of interest. Have you considered the ChatterBox range?

In particular this one looks like it's a brilliant entry level one with 2 miles range (FM transmitter in the 900MHz specrum - in Aus you need to use the 915MHz specrum though, so beware buying overseas): http://www.jcmotors.com/p-2467-chatt...t-headset.aspx
Looks abit bulky though.

This one also looks nice with a lot more channels to choose from: http://www.jcmotors.com/p-1465-chatt...2-mile-ra.aspx

Last edited by Arctra; 09-14-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry for the consecutive post, but are the eBay ones you currently have like these ones?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....id=p2759.l1259

Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Arctra,

I haven’t head any good reviews for the chatterbox series so we decided not to even look at them.

That eBay link is the exact ones (same seller) that we have now however we got them cheaper as he had them on sale at the time (by memory it was $150). They are ok and the range is pretty good but the I wouldn’t recommend buying them for these reasons..

The sound quality is very tinny
Cant hear anything above about 40 - 50kph
Speakers buzz
Mic is not very good at cancelling noise (you get heaps of exhaust sound from the other rider)
the aerial broke on my brothers one (the Arial isn’t very secure and can break if over tightened and no warranty for over tightening)
The battery died on mine (lithium polymer and it leaked)

We are going to spend a little extra and get either the Scala g4 or the Sena SMH10 because all these faults that we are not happy with seem to be ok with these models, Just not sure which one yet.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Found this on Dirt Bike World forums that may be worth a look at too: http://www.collettcommunicators.com/

Thanks for the info and advice against getting the el cheapo eBay ones

Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi guys,

We bit the bullet and bought the Scala Rider G4 Powerset..... I’m loving this AU dollar at the moment.... we got them for $350USD (translates to around$370AUD) including postage on ebay..... we saw them in Honda and they wanted $800 for a pair.

Anyway these are way better than the cheap ones we go a while back.... Haven’t gone for a good trail ride with them yet so can’t comment on how they go in the bush.... but on the road my brother and i were able to talk comfortably up to about 80kph with no back ground noise. After about 80kph we had to start raising our voices a little and there was some wind coming but again we could still hear each other ok... I reckon these will be more than adequate in the bush.

the units are a little big though....

Name:  SAM_0379.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  89.1 KB