Come One, Come all...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Come One, Come all...

to the stupid circus. This week as with every week, it's showing in Nebraska at a top-secret location. This week's circus involves a young man scratching his head and looking at his KLX250s wondering about throttle tubes and Fat Bars.

Alright fellas, thanks for bearing through the intro. I do have a couple-few-many-more than can be asked in one post, questions but I'm just trying to get the answers to two of them. 1) Throttle tubes for the 09 up KLXs. I can't find a place that sells a stock replacement and I don't even know if I want a stock replacement. I know I'm not ready for a 1/4 turn (as I know I'd end up of my *** a LOT more than I do now). But I'm looking at all these choices (aluminum, titan, plastic oem repl.s) and I don't know what to get. I want to keep my push cable functional, but would also like to upgrade if I can, instead of just getting another crappy OEM throttle tube. I've chosen some grips and a set of bars but can't get my head around throttle tubes. I know that the KLX250's, KLX300's, most XR Honda's-200-250-350-400 share the same tubes, but if I get one for an XR-400, will it fit inside the kill/start switch hooyah?

Question Numero dos: I have kind of decided on a set of fat bars by pro taper, will this affect my mounting point for a set of bark busters or will the clamp on the inside give me enough play to accommodate the barkbusters? Also, will the clamp thinger that expands inside the end of the bars work on fat bars?

Thanks for any info you can offer up and sorry for the long post!
Mike

Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Mikey where you at in Nebraska, I'm in Lincoln.

Bike Bandit OEM Throttle

I think you should still be able to use your Stock Throttle tube with a fat bar. A fat bar is fat in the middle which will affect any bar riser's you attach. I believe a fat bar has the same diameter tube at the grips and as such shouldn't require a new throttle tube. I could be wrong as I don't have fat bars.

Here are some KLX websites that I like.
Rocky Mountain ATV

Wheeling Cycle Supply

Check out this sight if you want hanguards for your bike.
Highway Dirtbikes Handguards

Dan

Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fooswolf
I think you should still be able to use your Stock Throttle tube with a fat bar.
Completely correct, but it's all jacked up so I'm needing to replace it. I'm in Kearney, so a little ways away. Where do you usually ride at?

Mike

Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

You can get the stock throttle tube at the bike bandit link I provided.

There is nothing interesting really around here to ride, just straight gravel roads. If I want to feel like I am riding a twisty road I just go around the block.

I have an 2009 SF with knobbies mainly for gravel roads. If I want to ride somewhere scenic, I leave the state and go to Colorado.

Is the riding any more interesting in your neck of the non-woods.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Meh. Not really. My parents own 48 acres of pastureland that's pretty hilly and there's one small place to ride in a small town, Alma. But, it's really not much. Also, I know I can get the stocker but I'm wondering if there's any upgrade worth doing.

Mike

Old 02-03-2013, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I have Renthal Fatbars on mine. The bar ends are the same diameter as "standard" bars. The Fatbars are fatter in the middle and they taper off towards the ends.

No problems fitting Zeta handguards on them.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

You have a KLX? I would spend $20 on gas and get out of Nebraska.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
You have a KLX? I would spend $20 on gas and get out of Nebraska.
LOL. Sometimes I wish I could. I'm thinking about doing a harescramble race this summer in Iowa or CO. But I dunno if I really want to submit myself to the repeated wrecks that I will undoubtedly suffer along the way.

Mike

Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sharan
I have Renthal Fatbars on mine. The bar ends are the same diameter as "standard" bars. The Fatbars are fatter in the middle and they taper off towards the ends.

No problems fitting Zeta handguards on them.
Thanks. Good info. Is the 1 1/8 part just in the middle and by the time you get to where the mirrors are they're 7/8?