Colorado Trip Preperations

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I know you're aware how gnarly a few of those 4-wheel drive roads are in that area. Just a leisurely stroll in the park...LOL!
Oh yeah I know of Hancock, Tincup, Taylor and the Dreaded Pearl Pass reputations. I wasn't necessarily planning on doing any of those. I might just ride far enough to see what they are like. I didn't have any real difficulty on Engineer (though I did not do the Mineral Creek part by Ouray) and I have done Cinnamon pass twice. The second time I got a little cocky and my front tire washed out on me at around 25-30 mph at 12000 ft and my bike landed on my left leg (perhaps breaking the small bone, Tibula, in my left leg.) The worst part was picking up the pig at that elevation. I have no problem turning around or changing my mind about riding somewhere else. If I see baby heads, mud or sand or rocks that look like teeth I generally turn around as I have nothing to prove and am only interested in scenery.

From all of the ride reports I have read I would rate the following passes in order of most difficult to least difficult. Of these though I have only come close to the devils punch bowl, I didn't make it there from Marble.
1. Pearl
2. Schofield/Devils Punch Bowl
3. Black Bear/Stps
4. Hancock
5. Taylor
6. Tincup
Of course there is the pure evilness of Italian Creek/Reno Divide.

For example I might go up brush creek towards Pearl Pass as I have heard that it is beautiful, but when it gets difficult I would turn around.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is my list of things I am taking with me to Colorado. Am I missing anything that you would take?

21” tube on bike
Slime Air compressor
Tire Gauge
Rain Suit
Tool kit
Spot

Spare 21” tube
Spare 18”tube
Clutch Cable
Spare Jets
Duck Tape
Electrical Tape
2 spare master links
6 links of chain
Spare gear shifter
Extra brake fluid

The items in Red I will carry on the bike. The others will stay at camp incase I need them and can replace them at the end of the day.

Last edited by Landon; 07-24-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:14 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I think Tincup is relatively easy and Hancock only moderately hard. On the Italian Creek run, I didn't think it was hard even on a KLR650. Maybe we're talking about another offshoot or such. I still haven't done Pearl or Taylor, but the pics I see sure looks like a lot of baby heads on very steep terrain. I did Devil's Punchbowl on a KLR650 one year, and it was extremely hard on that bike. I did Blackbear on the KLX last August just to say I did it again and have done it in the past on a KLR as a younger man. Frankly, I don't like the steps and don't care to do them again. I do like the climb up and then close to the steps. I think if I ever do it again I'll turn around at the one-way sign on the Silverton side. I think Imogene is one of the most scenic and fun trails in the Silverton area, and it has a few rough spots. Some of the trails and 2-track also change a bit year-to-year as erosion and weather conditions during winter/spring change. This year had less snow and apparent erosion from what I've heard, and it might be better overall conditions on the routes.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Landon I think you will be fine with your toolkit, especially since you will be riding with others who will likely carry tools that you may not. If your bike runs fine at 7/8000 ft in elevation but not at 10/12 all you will have to do is remove the airbox lid.

I had a guy at a motorcycle shop in Gunnison jet my bike - he was an ex racer and really knew his stuff.

TNC
Yeah I figured Tincup and Hancock would be similar to Engineer Pass. I agree about Taylor and Pearl, but Taylor also has that water hazard where you have to ride in the middle of a creek for a while and then to get out there is a significant step out of the creek. I haven't done Imogene or Ophir, but I would do either of those instead of Black Bear. However an out and back on BB would be fine. I think I might check out the Cochetopa Pass area East of Lake City.

I have seen photos of people on Reno Ridge which is an off shoot of Italian Creek and it is one rocky ****. I think the report someone took that to get to American Flag Mountain which I hear is very steep.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

When I said tool kit, I didn't mean the OEM one. I have a tool roll I carry and have pretty much everything I might need in it. I rejetting and don't think I will need the jets, but I would rather have them and not need them then the other way around.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is a photo of Reno Divide from Traildamage. Is that Rocky Enough, lol.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:32 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

That Reno Divide part is what I haven't done, I'm guessing. I rode Italian Creek and made a big loop around American Flag mountain. I looked at the map, but I can't remember exactly where I went. There were some rocky sections but nothing like that pic that I recall. On Tincup and Hancock, I would not say they're as easy as Engineer or Cinnamon by any means but not as hard as Pearl and such. Tomichi is also over there by Hancock and makes a great loop toward Whitepine.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Tool Kit Issues:
If you dont run a skid plate & even if you do, you may want to consider some type of quickset epoxy for water pump repairs.
Also I was surprized that the factory toolkit does not include anything big enough to remove the rear wheel. It takes some big wrenches. & if your bringing them, bring tire irons.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Tool Kit Issues:
If you dont run a skid plate & even if you do, you may want to consider some type of quickset epoxy for water pump repairs.
Also I was surprized that the factory toolkit does not include anything big enough to remove the rear wheel. It takes some big wrenches. & if your bringing them, bring tire irons.
Thanks for the recommendations. My tool kit includs plumbers epoxy (like JB weld, just not a messy). It also has tools to remove either wheel and tire irons.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Tool Kit Issues:
On tire irons, I think we need at least one relatively long tool to get the tire bead removal started and to get the last part spooned in on installation. Different tires either help or aggravate this. The problem is where and how do you carry something with some decent length in a safe but out-of-the-way location? I found that a 14" generic tire iron fits conveniently against the drive chain side seat stay frame member by drilling a hole in the center and modifying the bolt holding the upper chain roller. I put rubber hose on each end of the tool and zip tied it at each end. In over two years of use, I've never had it loosen up, vibrate, or be a problem. If you use this system, you have to mount the tool where it doesn't stress the frame itself. With a central bolt mount and zip ties on the ends, this alleviates any damage or stress to the frame.

I practiced at home in the shop with my tools I carry on the bike to make sure I could change a tire on the trail if necessary. Fortunately with running the Neutech Tubliss system, I haven't had a flat in 3 years, but I know I can do the job on the trail if absolutely necessary.

Attached Thumbnails Colorado Trip Preperations-tire-iron-mount.jpg  

Quick Reply: Colorado Trip Preperations