Cold weather vs. Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cold weather vs. Performance

I'm a noob when it comes to motorcycle carbs icing. I did however have an old (1968) Dodge W200 4X4 that had a carb that iced on me all the time. Wait I'm calling a 1968 Dodge old?.......Awww crap I'm a 1964 model, what does that make me? [sm=bangbang.gif] When it iced, I would just pull over, and the engine would heat up the carb base and off I went for a few more miles. Well that was then and this is now. Are there kits that can be put on these bikes and ran through a switch? What about a 12V heat tape wrapped around the carb? Please don't laugh, I really don't know anything about this subject. LOL

deej

Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting reading, there are several pages here. I'm going back to finish reading.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...ght=Carb+Icing

deej

Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Guys I just had a live chat conversation with a guy about carb heaters, and skid plates, he is going to e-mail me with information in the next month when they get thier parts files updated.

http://www.onlineparts.com/

Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Those Suz parts might just fit too. That looks like a better solution than the Kaw part I posted above.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

You may be able to retrofit the Suzuki electric carburetor heater, mentioned in that thread, if Kawasaki does not have one.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

That heater looks real good, the question is kawi cost, and room to apply it. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I'm a noob when it comes to motorcycle carbs icing. I did however have an old (1968) Dodge W200 4X4 that had a carb that iced on me all the time. Wait I'm calling a 1968 Dodge old?.......Awww crap I'm a 1964 model, what does that make me? [sm=bangbang.gif] When it iced, I would just pull over, and the engine would heat up the carb base and off I went for a few more miles. Well that was then and this is now. Are there kits that can be put on these bikes and ran through a switch? What about a 12V heat tape wrapped around the carb? Please don't laugh, I really don't know anything about this subject. LOL

deej
Can't find a supplier for 12v heat tape. I have looked.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to look carefully at my Bonnie's carbs tonight to see exacly how the heaters work. I do recall there are two plugs for each carb attached to the front edge of the float bowl.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

I'm going to look carefully at my Bonnie's carbs tonight to see exacly how the heaters work. I do recall there are two plugs for each carb attached to the front edge of the float bowl.
I've seen one on a Honda quad, It was right next to the pilot jet. When the carb ices, it acts just like a plugged pilot jet.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Another idea would be to extend the hose that runs from the top of the radiator back past the carb to the overflow bottle with a piece of copper tube such that you could wrap it around the carb a couple of times...

Quick Reply: Cold weather vs. Performance