Cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Default RE: Cold starting

Last time I started my bike was in Nov. I live in the North East USA. I tried it the other day. It started on third attempt, with a twist of the throttle on the 2nd attempt. Each time I held the start button about 6 seconds. But once it started I could not put the choke in the run postion for quite some time as it would stall so I let it run with the choke on and kept trying till I could.Once I was able to put the choke in the run postion without it stalling,I could not give it any throttle or it would stall, so I let it idle for around 5 min. It was only after letting it do this was I able to give it any gas without it stalling. I let her get nice and warmed up,then I shut the fuel off and let it run a bit before tucking her back in till my shoulder heals. I have never had a bike that takes as long to warm up I am not sure why, i don't think its a lean or rich problem because some of us have made jetting changes,pipes etc. and still seem to have the same issue. I am just glad it started and hope to be riding soon.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I use the NGK Iridium sparkplug (CR8EIX).

I have never had a starting problem (knock on wood). The longest my bike has been ignored was about two weeks. I don't let it run dry and I don't let it pee, I just push the start button with the "choke" out. It's cold (20s-30s) now, and after I let it sit for two weeks, I had to push the starter button twice. I don't know if the sparkplug has anything to do with it, but thought I would toss it out there for consideration...

Old 01-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey just a thought, I'm running the air box lid off, anyone else? And if so could that be introducing more air that could be changing the gas as it sits?

Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hokie01

Just turn the gas off and let it run out before you put it away and it'll start every time.One last thing I do to mine is when it dies the first time from lack of fuel,I pull the choke out and hit it again and let it idle itself completely dry,when I need to start it I turn the fuel on and give it a sec and pull the choke and she fires up.I also keep a yuasa battery tender on it so It's always fully charged.
The only difference I haven't put a battery tender on it & It still starts within 30 seconds even after siting for one month withoutrunning it. Whats the bid deal about shutting off the gas?

Old 01-22-2008, 04:33 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

60% of the time it works everytime.[8D] Actually 100% of the time but that line is funny. Oh and shutting off the gas is nothing compared to having a bike that won't start.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-22-2008, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: warski

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I use the NGK Iridium spark plug (CR8EIX).

I have never had a starting problem (knock on wood). The longest my bike has been ignored was about two weeks. I don't let it run dry and I don't let it pee, I just push the start button with the "choke" out. It's cold (20s-30s) now, and after I let it sit for two weeks, I had to push the starter button twice. I don't know if the spark plug has anything to do with it, but thought I would toss it out there for consideration...
I have thought the same about the plug when I change the plugs on my Royal Star I gapped them in the middle of the range allowed, which was like .002 bigger gap than it was originally set at and have had cold start start with this bike since and it takes longer to warm up, maybe the stock plugs just have a weak spark and the combo of cold gas and weak spark create a problem.