Cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cold starting

Thanks for the information. I'm running the 132 and 40 jets and the air box is off, so I don't think there is an issue there. The fact of the matter no matter what you are trying to start unless its fuel injected or has a block heater, the cold has a degree of effect on it. Sometimes it isn't noticeable, and other times it just won't fire up. I don't mind putting the small heater by the bike for 5 minutes, it allows me to get a cup of coffee and put my helmet on, not a big deal. Oh and I never use the throttle, it only keeps the bike from starting when its not warmed up. Later Shadetree.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Great post Shadetree.
I have found esaier starting with the air box lid in place using the KDX high flow snorkle. The cross sectional area of the snorkle is larger than required.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Great post Shadetree.
I have found esaier starting with the air box lid in place using the KDX high flow snorkle. The cross sectional area of the snorkle is larger than required.

SORRY, no clue why I posted the same thing twice......................... Guess it was santas litlle helper.............................

Old 12-05-2006, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, guys. It was no doubt much t'do about nothing since the obvious "Best" solution was heat. It was fun to get the thinking processes engaged some though.

Santa's little helper wasn't bad either. Just think. If the question had not been asked, we may have never met...Hey, who DID we meet anyway?

Old 12-05-2006, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

YA YA.......... Who is she ??????

Old 12-05-2006, 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: DJFields

YA YA.......... Who is she ??????

Just one of Finger Mullets "Humbrella Girls" !

Old 12-06-2006, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

There ya go! COOOOOOFEEEEEEEEEEE! I worship that drink. Dunno what my world would be like without it. [8D]

One think though. Since you are running with the air lid off, you may be just a tad lean for cold starting purposes (below whatever 'threshold' this happens at). Your pilot seems to be the right sized, but you're taking an awefully big gulp of air with the lid removed. I'll bet you could cheat on your fuel screw setting by opening it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn to help the bike start easier without affecting anything else whatsoever.

In fact, I went to see my dealer to put my pumper carb on order and told him about the problem you are experiencing. He said where he sees the cold starting problem surface the most is when somebody put on a aftermarket pipe without changing the jetting. I know that's not your case, but the principle still applies. He had the same suggestion about the fuel screw, FWIW. You may have went with recommend screw setting from Dynojet or whoever, but I'm pretty sure you realize that recommendation is a one size, fits all sort of happy medium...optimizing the setting is up to you.

I'd hate to see you part what that coffee break though, so forget I said anything

ORIGINAL: deej

Thanks for the information. I'm running the 132 and 40 jets and the air box is off, so I don't think there is an issue there. The fact of the matter no matter what you are trying to start unless its fuel injected or has a block heater, the cold has a degree of effect on it. Sometimes it isn't noticeable, and other times it just won't fire up. I don't mind putting the small heater by the bike for 5 minutes, it allows me to get a cup of coffee and put my helmet on, not a big deal. Oh and I never use the throttle, it only keeps the bike from starting when its not warmed up. Later Shadetree.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Forget what?

Old 12-06-2006, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Well maybe you'll get your bike started faster, maybe not. I still think setting up a small heater is easier and as far as the cold temps go better for the engine. I mean my dodge loves it when I plug it in, nice and toasty in the cold mornings, as if its been running for hours. I have a nice little heater that sets up easy, and besides mine will be already warmed up, while yours will be sputtering for a few.
Geez deej, you start this thread off saying you didn't want to use the heater and you were asking for other options. I offered up starting fluid and now you are arguing as to why it is not a good option. Most folks would say "thanks" and move on. You don't _have_ to use my preferred cold start method, but it's rude to ask for advice and then nitpick the advice you get. I guess next time I'll just keep quiet and not try to help.
I would hate to have anyone be mad at me for something stupid (on my part) sorry man.

Hugs?

Old 12-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Awww shucks - who can resist that. But I wasn't mad, I was just offering up an option which I thought you asked for. My bad if I was mistaken. I know you said you couldn't afford to heat the garage, but you already tried the space heater near the bike and knew that worked, but then even after that it sure sounded like you were looking for alternatives. I apparently just misinterpreted you.

No one's mad, though - not me anyway.

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Well maybe you'll get your bike started faster, maybe not. I still think setting up a small heater is easier and as far as the cold temps go better for the engine. I mean my dodge loves it when I plug it in, nice and toasty in the cold mornings, as if its been running for hours. I have a nice little heater that sets up easy, and besides mine will be already warmed up, while yours will be sputtering for a few.
Geez deej, you start this thread off saying you didn't want to use the heater and you were asking for other options. I offered up starting fluid and now you are arguing as to why it is not a good option. Most folks would say "thanks" and move on. You don't _have_ to use my preferred cold start method, but it's rude to ask for advice and then nitpick the advice you get. I guess next time I'll just keep quiet and not try to help.
I would hate to have anyone be mad at me for something stupid (on my part) sorry man.

Hugs?

Quick Reply: Cold starting