Cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cold starting

ORIGINAL: Marty

ORIGINAL: deej

To have to take off the seat every time to start it is an inconvenience to say the least. I tried the small space heater about a foot away from the bike with temps around 20 and after just 5 minutes the bike started up as if it had been running already. I tried it on the other bikes and same thing, 5 minutes and they started right up. And I know that's less time than taking off the seat and spraying starting fluid in there, but to me its an easier solution.

Just buy a Mikuni TM33 pumper carb. No problem starting with that in place. Twist the throttle and you automatically spray a shot of gas into the intake tract. Works great, don't it Nobrakes?

On the urban myth about holding your hand over the exhaust will pop the head gasket . . . . .

Exhaust is a gas and is very compressible. The old trick was to stick a potato into someone's exhaust and watch them ride away for a short distance and then the bike would stall. They would start it and ride another short distance and then stall once again.

Heck, I've sent the exhaust block off almost across the street when I start the bike up if I forget about taking it out!

Not a problem.

Actually when I was about 16 there was a kid that was a turd to us younger kids, and one day I decided to do just that, put potatoes in his dad's pipes on an old truck, (the dad was a jerk to all of us kids too, and I still regret what I did) Anyway the next day he was tearing apart his engine, I can only imagine it had something to do with the vegetables in the exhaust system. Yes I have forgot to take out the wash plug on my bike, but there is a big difference between that and a potato that was shoved into an engine with 8 times the power of out little thumper. True story.[&:]

Old 12-04-2006, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually when I was about 16 there was a kid that was a turd to us younger kids, and one day I decided to do just that, put potatoes in his dad's pipes on an old truck, (the dad was a jerk to all of us kids too, and I still regret what I did) Anyway the next day he was tearing apart his engine, I can only imagine it had something to do with the vegetables in the exhaust system. Yes I have forgot to take out the wash plug on my bike, but there is a big difference between that and a potato that was shoved into an engine with 8 times the power of out little thumper. True story.[&:]
What you need is one of those "Remove Before Flight" streamers attached to your exhaust plug:

Old 12-04-2006, 07:58 PM

I finally got my bike started. Thanks for all the advice. I sprayed a little starting fluid down the snorkle and it wouldnt fire. I had to take off the lid and spray it in there. It took forever to fire but I was glad when it did. I left the air box lid off for now but I hope I dont have to take the seat off every time I want to start it this winter. It was a bit warmer today and I think that helped.

Is anyone else riding in the snow? I took my sons KLX125L out yesterday and had a blast. I got soaking wet and only fell once. I rode a short wheelie (dont know how I managed to get it up) through second before I got nervous and put it down. Its nice to have a small bike to do things that I wouldnt do on my bike.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty
Just buy a Mikuni TM33 pumper carb. No problem starting with that in place. Twist the throttle and you automatically spray a shot of gas into the intake tract. Works great, don't it Nobrakes?
Well, I don't own the Mikuni, but I can vouch that the Keihin FCR works fine doing that. But then again, it's only gotten down in the 30s here, and I don't really consider that cold. I honestly wish the temp would drop and we'd get a pile of snow to play in. But I live in central NC, so I guess I have to be realistic.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

You don't need to remove the filter, just spray a little into the airbox opening. The stuff is pretty volatile though, so heed the warnings w/regard to open flames, sparks, etc. It doesn't take much to get the engine firing.

To have to take off the seat every time to start it is an inconvenience to say the least. I tried the small space heater about a foot away from the bike with temps around 20 and after just 5 minutes the bike started up as if it had been running already. I tried it on the other bikes and same thing, 5 minutes and they started right up. And I know that's less time than taking off the seat and spraying starting fluid in there, but to me its an easier solution.
The seat is just the two bolts on either side at the back, but do what you want. You did ask for advice after all. But it's just two bolts that you can take off in like 15 seconds with a cordless driver. I don't see how that's so inconvenient. I bet I can have the seat off and the bike started before you get your heater plugged in and positioned.

Real heat is better for the engine if you are cold starting every day, though, since the oil is also warmed up and will lubricate better.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Well maybe you'll get your bike started faster, maybe not. I still think setting up a small heater is easier and as far as the cold temps go better for the engine. I mean my dodge loves it when I plug it in, nice and toasty in the cold mornings, as if its been running for hours. I have a nice little heater that sets up easy, and besides mine will be already warmed up, while yours will be sputtering for a few.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Well maybe you'll get your bike started faster, maybe not. I still think setting up a small heater is easier and as far as the cold temps go better for the engine. I mean my dodge loves it when I plug it in, nice and toasty in the cold mornings, as if its been running for hours. I have a nice little heater that sets up easy, and besides mine will be already warmed up, while yours will be sputtering for a few.
Geez deej, you start this thread off saying you didn't want to use the heater and you were asking for other options. I offered up starting fluid and now you are arguing as to why it is not a good option. Most folks would say "thanks" and move on. You don't _have_ to use my preferred cold start method, but it's rude to ask for advice and then nitpick the advice you get. I guess next time I'll just keep quiet and not try to help.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

DUDE!!! What the heck is wrong with everyone? I didn't mean anything by anything.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and in case you didn't notice I put smileys at the end of the post. OK new rule if there are smileys in a post then don't take offense[&:]

Old 12-04-2006, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't say I didn't want to use a small heater for a few minutes, what I said is that I couldn't afford to heat the garage.......there is a big difference. Words are being re-aranged here.

Quick Reply: Cold starting