Cold Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine started a little hard when it got into the 20s before I rejetted. After rtejet didn't need to choke at all but figured I was running a little rich so I turned the screw in a half turn. Now it fires right up and it'd been in the 20s her off n on. Only need the choke on for 10 seconds or so then she'sready to rock.

Man. If I went to a dealer, especially if they dinged me with trans and prep charges, and my BRAND NEW bike didn't start I'd start adding some "wasting customer time" charges. If a dealer can charge me for his time should the customer get paid for his if it's the dealersfault?. I wouldn't have left until they got it started or left it and charged them a new set of barkbusters (installed) or something for the return trips. Might have asked for a refund on the "dealer prep", if there was any. It wasn't very good prep.

What's up with dealer prep anyway? Who else but vehicle dealers charge customers to "prepare" the item they are selling for sale??

Anyway, good luck dude. I hope you get it started but that's a not so great way to start.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horizonod
Mine started a little hard when it got into the 20s before I rejetted. After rtejet didn't need to choke at all but figured I was running a little rich so I turned the screw in a half turn. Now it fires right up and it'd been in the 20s her off n on. Only need the choke on for 10 seconds or so then she'sready to rock.

Man. If I went to a dealer, especially if they dinged me with trans and prep charges, and my BRAND NEW bike didn't start I'd start adding some "wasting customer time" charges. If a dealer can charge me for his time should the customer get paid for his if it's the dealersfault?. I wouldn't have left until they got it started or left it and charged them a new set of barkbusters (installed) or something for the return trips. Might have asked for a refund on the "dealer prep", if there was any. It wasn't very good prep.

What's up with dealer prep anyway? Who else but vehicle dealers charge customers to "prepare" the item they are selling for sale??

Anyway, good luck dude. I hope you get it started but that's a not so great way to start.
I took it out the next day and it started right up. No problems with the bike. I think they just didn't realize how these things can be a little cranky when it's cold. BTW, I got a pretty good deal on the bike and they didn't charge me any dealer prep. They also gave me a $50 gift card as I was walking out. Not a bad dealer, just not very knowledgable with the KLX cold starting quirk. I plan to rejet as soon as possible to resolve the issue, although lots of people here have given me the workarounds so there is really won't be anymore cold start issue. (hopefully!).

Old 01-16-2009, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Great info guys, thx! The cold starting has been p*ssing me off of late, now know how to sort it real easy. CHEERS!!!!!