Cold Air Dyno Run

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Cold Air Dyno Run

Well, my lead-in will have to be 'don't shoot the messenger!' It's the dyno telling these lies.[8D]

I always knew that ambient temp made a difference, but I never thought it would be so large.

Details of my mod's are as follows:

-Air box hole enlarged to 85x105mm.
-Nassert N-motard full, high flow exhaust.
-Yoshimura TMR-MJN34 pumper carb with #142 main jet
-All of the other 'free mod's' including smog gear removal

Both dyno runs were made in fourth gear at WOT until we reached the rev limiter.

The dyno chart is below. Try not to laugh too hard. Once the weather warms-up, I'm going to try this again, but on a different dyno. You'll see what I mean. My mid range appears to be a bit lean while the main is slightly rich. I think the mid range will be OK once it gets warmer, but I may have to bump the main down by one size.

Moral of the story is wait until the temps get more reasonable before doing dyno runs. I'll bet we were about 10 degress below standard day at sea level.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cold Air Dyno Run

Don't tell me, let me guess..... A DYNOsuar smoking a cigarette??

Nice job scratching that out on your etcho-sketch....

Seriously, man that is the weirdest thing I have ever seen....

I'm with you on using a different machine...

Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

So you are getting high 20's HP? What is "PS" - is that horsepower? You don't even have any bore upgrades do you, just the carb and pipe? How is such a high number possible with just a pipe/airbox/carb upgrade?

Darth Vador voice: Impressive

Old 03-24-2007, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes that scale is 'PS' and converts to about 27.5HP.

No mods other than pipes or carb. Oh, and my 27" sportbike like tires hook up with the roller really well.[8D]

That doesn't explain the gawdy numbers though. This was like dumping $30.00 down the drain.[:@] I will wait for warmer weather and try a different dyno.

Just though you guys might enjoy a good laugh.

Oh yeah, and for Dirt Surfer, here's pic of bike on dyno. Can't believe I rode though the cold to get these whacked-out results[:@]

Old 03-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

That a/f curve is quite a scribble.

Well, at 27.5, you win. Here's the torch, carry it proudly, keep it lit or at least smoldering, don't burn the place down with it, and for god sake don't let EMS have it, I hear he loves big bon fires.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:20 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

That a/f curve is quite a scribble.

Well, at 27.5, you win. Here's the torch, carry it proudly, keep it lit or at least smoldering, don't burn the place down with it, and for god sake don't let EMS have it, I hear he loves big bon fires.
"Burn" yeah, good idea, that's probably what I'll do with this graph. Not sure I want to hear more about EMS and fires though. It conjures-up memories of a Harley rally I was at where more than a few people had one too many beers and started running through campfires in their birthday suitNOT a pretty scene!

Old 03-24-2007, 10:52 AM

Is there something that I have missed in your results TREMOR38. I've had bikes like honda 350 fours, ktm 640 and a few others on the dyno and all were done in top gear at an approx. steady 50 kph then wide open until drop off of power curve, the ktm went to 126 kph to reach it's 57.5 hp, the 350 Four hit top hp at 132 kph. The dyno machines take into account the humidity/temp etc. At cooler temp you produce more hp because the cooler air is much more heavier, thus when ignited it expands a far greater amount, drag cars etc get faster times in the evening as it becomes cooler, hope this makes sense. Your result because it was cooler would give a higher hp if they hadn't allowed for that, also as I understand you were only in fourth gear. When next you try a dyno run, ask for one in first gear while you have it strapped to the machine, you most probably will pull more hp's than NOBRAKES new ktm.( first only I'm afraid) As Iowaguy has said, Who cares, be happy !!

Old 03-24-2007, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

I don't understand.......you don't agree with these numbers? or what? the way you talk you sound like you don't believe what the dyno spit out.
That's the crux of my dilemma. The numbers seem unbelievable...in the most literal sense. Remember, my bike is still running stock displacement, compression and cams. I understand the whole concept ofan engineproducing more HP with colder air, which is more dense, but that much of a difference?

My dealer ran his D-tracker on the very same dyno andonly got24hp, but that was in the month of June, so maybe temp really does have that large of an influence.

One thing Idoknow for sure though...the bike goeslike a raped ape now!Yesterday was the first day we could legally ride with military issued licenses, so it was the first chance I had to take it on the street and really open'er up. I was up to 100KPHin no time. I could wind it through the gears much faster and it has noticeably more pull in 6th gear aswell.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving what the mods have done for the bike, but a reading of 4hp higher than the highest I've seen recorded forother D-trackers in the same configuration kind of makes you'hmmmmmm!' One or two HP I could buy.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Even in the service manual supplement the D-Tracker is rated quite a bit higher power wise. The KLX is rated at 14.79 HP and the D is 29.59 (15 PS and 30 PS respectively). The cold air makesa very significant difference. I started my ride yesterday at 48 degrees F and by the time I got home it was 37 and the KLX was a screamer, pulled harder in every gear. Not enough to keep up with my buddy's 650L but was still a fun ride.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Dyno Run