Clutch shaft help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Clutch shaft help

Hi guys

So I realised my clutch cable was about to break near the lever so I thought I'd replace it. I was having trouble putting the end into the lever so used some vice grips and elstic cord to twist the clutch shaft near the engine "open" and hold it there so I had enough slack to fixing the lever end. All went well till I accidentally bumped the vice grips

That happened was the shaft "clicked" into an open position as shown by the yellow arrow in the image below - the red arrow shows the normal position.

Name:  Clutchshaftangle.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  78.9 KB

A little concerns I simply twisted the shaft back with another louder click. This is about when I really got worried. Upon inspection I notice the shaft had lifted out of the cover about 7mm as shown by the image below.

Name:  Clutchshaftgap.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  43.4 KB

I tried to tap the shaft down back into place but it didn't budge. Has anyone else ever done this? I plan on dropping the oil and removing the cover this weekend to see what I've done, but I just wanted to run this by the guru's to see if I am in for a big expensive fix, or if it's a small thing to sort out.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

My clutch cable broke on my KLR and when i went to replace it that whole shaft moved around freely and it actually just pulls right up and out of the side case. I didnt have the problem that it stayed out of the case a little bit though. I was worried i broke something too. Try to get it to just sit all the way down in the case then just reconnect everything.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:37 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hmmm...my clutch release shaft looks pretty much like yours...about 5-7mm above the cover. Are you sure anything is wrong? It got me curious, and looking at the service manual picture, the OEM setup looks like it has that gap too. I'm not sure you have a problem as long as the release shaft is engaging the push rod. Now, if you can continue to pull the release shaft further up, maybe the bottom engagement tip has broken off. I think there's a slot down the shaft that actually pushes the push rod, so it shouldn't be able to be pulled up very far when the cover is bolted on. Yes, it will pull right out of the cover hole with the cover off. It's been awhile since I had mine off. I notice the manual says the design of the release shaft will probably damage the seal if you yank it out, requiring a new seal perhaps.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

OK cool, thanks guys. I must be honest, I never took that much notice of how much of a gap there was before - I just assumed it had come up. I'll have a crack at just setting the cable up and seeing if it works in that case.

I knew there was a reason I hung out here

Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I hate it when that happens

Old 03-29-2011, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Finally got to sort the clutch cable out tonight and you guys were right - there was no problem at all. Just had to sort the cable slack out and she worked fine. Quite relieved

Thanks guys