clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I rode a KTM once with a Rekluse clutch and the lever override. This particular clutch had silicon carbide ***** for quicker engagement, which it needed and benefitted from.

I found the action of these type of clutches interesting, and I can see how many riders would like them. One problem with bikes like this is being tall and clumsy on tight trails. Not having to worry about clutch disengagement when you get knocked off your line and are about to stall is a big plus.

Another plus is when going full auto you can use the former clutch lever area to create a rear brake. You lose the manual override, but now have hand brakes front and rear.

BUT, I don't think I'll be buying one one. The manual override lever feel and action is not bad, but it's compromised over a well set up manual clutch. All design is a trade off, and in this case you trade manual clutch precision off to having the auto feature. Yeah, having a rear brake right there in the clutch position would be cool, especially for me and my 'special needs', but I'll not trade off precision manual clutch use for it.

The more sophisticated your manual cutch technique is, the less beneficial these things are overall.