Clutch options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Clutch options?

One of the cool things about the rekluse is you can brake-slide into a turn and not worry about stalling and not even think about having to clutch to keep from stalling. You can generally ride a gear high and let the clutch to the work of applying the right amount of power to the wheel. This is good when speeding up and slowing down followed by speeding up again repeatedly like in tight woods. Constantly clutching in those conditions can get tiring and arm pump and shifting up and down can be a pain too when you go to a higher gear, crank on the throttle, only to hit the brakes and gear down 2 seconds later for a tight rutted turn while threading through less than bar-width trees. Rekluse would help there.

Downsides are that if you lock the rear wheel even briefly while descending a hill, you lose all engine braking unless you rev it back up. Also, if you happen to stall on a hill, it's like being in neutral and you won't have the transmission to hold you if you are in an awkward position and can't get on the brake. Since the clutch is not engaged when the engine is not turning, you can't push start any more either. It's a little finicky to set up and get adjusted. I think I tried every combination of springs and bearings so see what worked the best for me. The claim that you never stall is not quite accurate - I've still had mine stall on log crossings, places where I'd never stall before I now did. And they say you keep manual control over the clutch as an override, but it felt totally mushy and no longer worked quite the same.

So for me the pros didn't outweigh the cons. And I'm a pretty good one-finger clutcher and don't generally have a problem in the areas where the rekluse is the biggest benefit, so I ended up selling mine for what I paid for it, so that was nice - I got to try it out for free, essentially.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input nobrakes. Would you say it isintended fora bigger bore bike? I couldn't see it upping the fun factor with our little KLX's.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I think so, it would tend to be better for a bigger bike to help manage the hit.