To clutch or not to clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, a lot of different opinions... I tried a few times today shifting without clutch and it definitively does not appear natural to me. I don't worry much about clutch wear, I was just looking for the proper technique to ride.

Guess I will continue with my old habits.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I grew up on a farm riding motorcycles and abusing the hell out of them. I went through more clutch cables than actual clutches, so wouldn't worry about how long your clutch will last.

Like others have said, as long as you try and avoid having power delivered when you shift gears without the clutch, you should be fine. I find that when I am riding hard I tend not to use the clutch when changing up a gear - just blip the throttle as I shift for a nice quick change without giving much power to the back wheel up. On the down shifts however, I tend to use the clutch - otherwise there can be a bit of a nasty sound and the chain normally whips a bit.

Personal habits aside and addressing your original questions - I would not say using the clutch is "totally useless" as it obviously reduces the forces at play on the gearbox when you shift. Just at times it isn't as necessary to use it. Using the clutch to shift may "wear the clutch faster", but certainly not significantly enough to be concerned about or to severely impact the useful life of the clutch.

As for your fear of breaking internal parts by not using the clutch when shifting, you probably could do significant damage if you are really silly about things (e.g. trying to shift gear without the clutch with your throttle wide open repeatedly), but you will hear and feel if you are forcing things and common sense will make you not continue. If you feel it change gear smoothly without horrible grating noises, clunks, etc, you can safely assume you are not doing any serious damage.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I will add this, its very hard to change the way you've always done it.

I've been riding bikes for 35 years and I know that some of the things I do are not the best way to do them. But it's very hard to learn a new way when you get older, especially when you are in the heat of battle. And I maybe only hit the trails once a month or so. I would describe myself as an "average" trail rider. Good enough but not great. (My sense of self preservation if far greater today than it was when i was young)

For you younger guys that want to improve your riding skills, start now.
Stand up as often as you can. (I'm not great at this) Get used to changing gears and operating the levers whilst standing up. Use the clutch as a power regulator, it will make a difference. Learn to change gears without using the clutch by unloading the gear box with the throttle. What you find a challenge now will become second nature in the future and this will make you a better/faster rider whilst at the same time a safer one. Take risks and crash from time to time. How else will you find your limits and learn from them? Play with the suspension settings and tyre pressures. All this really applies to off road riding. Do not learn to ride better on the road by crashing.

Sure listen to what other rider say and do but find out for yourself.

Most of all have fun.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Or, if you want to cheat, put in a rekluse clutch. I rode an rmz450 with one and I've gotta tell you, riding tough single track has never been easier. It's like cheating. Imagine never clutching. Imagine never stalling the engine. Imagine brake sliding into a corner and pouring the throttle coming out without ever clutching.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Or, if you want to cheat, put in a rekluse clutch. I rode an rmz450 with one and I've gotta tell you, riding tough single track has never been easier. It's like cheating. Imagine never clutching. Imagine never stalling the engine. Imagine brake sliding into a corner and pouring the throttle coming out without ever clutching.
Funny you should mention this, because I have been looking at the rekluse with great interest. I have come to the conclusion that it is more of a necessity for a 450 than the KLX250 - the 250 delivers power a lot smoother and is more managable than teh 450 beasts. But if you primarily ride single track, then it may be worth getting for the 250 just for the anti-stall.

On the down side, I don't know if the Rekluse will fit the KLX250, but I think a Slipper Clutch will (which looks very similar).