Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:56 PM
Default Clutch Issue

Hello Everyone,

My 09' klx 250s has been sitting all winter and now that spring has sprung ive finnally got a chance to ride her. So I cleaned it up this morning, filled up all its fluids, new oil, coolant, gas, it started up just fine first kick. Problem is when i pull the clutch in and shift into first gear, she starts pulling forward even with the clutch still pulled all the way in. Even after letting the clutch all the way out with no throttle the bike doesnt stall and continues to pull forward.....anyone have a clue what might be wrong?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Check for correct freeplay or

The cold clutch plates in the cold oil are causing that. It should clear up pretty fast once the bike warms up..

Old 04-14-2014, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Check for correct freeplay or

The cold clutch plates in the cold oil are causing that. It should clear up pretty fast once the bike warms up..
Roger. Will check to make sure the freeplay in my clutch cable is correct.

And you might be right about the cold oil too. I only warmed it up briefly for mabye a minute or so before testing the clutch and noticing the problem. Never experieneced before with it being cold, but i guess its never sat for this long either.

Will report back tomorrow with my findings, hopefully it's something this simple. Thank-you for the quick response, sir.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd be concerned that your friction plates dried out or something has contaminated your oil. I know you mentioned you changed the oil, but if something was in it before, it could has got in to the clutch. Usually when I store bikes or other stuff with small engines I overfill the oil (sometimes all the way to the cap) and put some oil in the cylinder. Obviously, always drain before firing. For what its worth, oil becomes acidic after about 6 months and they may play a role in this. If I were you I'd leave it in neutral, and just idle it as long as needed to get the oil hot. It may help to get oil between the plates to get a bungee cord and keep the clutch lever engaged while idling it. Of course this is the long difficult method to go about *only* if you have verified your clutch is adjusted. Hope this helps.