That was close

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Post That was close

went to try and remoce the KACR from my cam today and guess what i found.

this was the wire i used to disable the KACR, and the other side was half as thick as the one still there.

i think i will just let my KACR fling without the spring and see how it fairs.

PS. dang that was a close one to a big bill.....

Old 05-23-2019, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

My apologies, I was wrong. I will change my notes. My bad. There must be some movement in the shoes to wear the wire like that. Odds are if there is a bit of wire in the bottom end it won't get up out of the sump. I lost one of the actual compression release springs in my 650 that made it down into the sump, we found it with a magnet when we reworked the top end and found it missing. Another came off and was laying in the head. I still have to run the compression release in the 650, because it needs the release.

You can do what the 650 guys do that disable the compression release - they are known for shedding the shoes - grind the rivets until the shoes and rivets can be removed. I think that is likely what I may do.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

wish i had tools to either remove the KACR or the shoes on it.

but it seems nothing bad will come of it being run without the spring and just fling about

Old 05-23-2019, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, that made up my mind. I read the entire MCM thread over the last week. Now I think I'll just remove the ACR completely.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Side note i hope this end my feeling of the bike is telling me that something is wrong...

Old 05-23-2019, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

So glad you averted disaster - hope you can retrieve the "bits-o-wire" from inside your engine..

Most everyone probably already knows that I have been "violently" against using wire on KACR's , or any internal reciprocating/moving engine part, for this very reason. I have had to trust that the vast majority of the membership knows better than to put a wire on a internal engine part - as my attempts to get all references to wiring the KACR removed have met with limited success.

All wires on all KACR's should be removed immediately !

Anyone thinking a spring-less KACR presents any kind of risk to the engine should (attempt) to explain themselves. But first, try to understand that the KACR goes "full open" at starter cranking speed and remains so when the engine is running.

To remove the KACR, you simply need a long strong punch, 5 lb hammer( a little sledge hammer) , a Vice, and some wood. Using the wood and the Vice, create a proper support for the cam, then punch out the KACR !

Last edited by Klxster; 05-23-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

lucky not loose bits in the engine as it was still on bot ends. snaped off when i removed the wire from the KACR.

was it not safe to run a springless KACR??

Old 05-23-2019, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

It is safe to run the KACR spring-less. As you've found out, it is not safe to run a wire on the KACR.

Last edited by Klxster; 05-23-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice be shure

may end up borrowing some tools from work and remove the shoes by drilling out the rivets.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Destroying the KACR could be thought of as hair-brained (pea-brained maybe?) ...

Just leave it spring-less (like everyone else), remove it, or get performance cams..

Quick Reply: That was close