Clear plastic oil resivoir thing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Clear plastic oil resivoir thing?

So, the day I bought my bike, I zip tied this goofy clear plastic oil resivoir thing so it is out of the way and won't get ripped off while riding. This is that capped line and hangs off the bottom of all our bikes. It is supposedly an overflow line for the air box.

I have had my bike for two years and have never seen any oil or anything in this.

Last weekend, I took my bike up in the mountains for a nice 150 mile ride. It was about 90 degrees out and I ran my bike pretty hard. Anyways, the next day at work, I came out and noticed a couple drops of oil under my bike. "Great, now my bike has a leak somewhere". I wasn't able to get to it for a couple of days so now my spot at work has an oil spot and my garage has an oil spot. Anyways, looked the bike over from top to bottom, couldn't find any leaks. Finally took a look at the capped clear plastic thing and it had some oil in it and the line was saturated with oil ( obviously from leaking the last couple of days ). So I took it out of its zip tie and let it drain. Cleaned it up and put it back up. Now no more oil has been leaking.

So, my questions are why did it now decide to get oil in it?

Is this a sign of anything bad?

Does my 351 kit have anything to do with this?

How often should I expect to see oil in this thing?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I have only seen air filter oil in mine, that was before it fell off... my line just dumps on the ground, oh well i did fill it up with muddy water a few times too....

Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Throw it away. Its just there to catch oil and or gas from the bike that may or may not ever come out. Something the "greenies" came up with. I broke mine the first time I put the bike up on the stand. We made it 30 years without it, so I say loose it.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it motor oil, or air filter oil, or can you tell the difference?

For some reason, mine hasn't broke off yet so still functions. I notice water with a little air filter oil in there occasionally, usually after a ride through deep water or a washing (air box lid off).

Old 07-12-2011, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Is it motor oil, or air filter oil, or can you tell the difference?

For some reason, mine hasn't broke off yet so still functions. I notice water with a little air filter oil in there occasionally, usually after a ride through deep water or a washing (air box lid off).
I am pretty sure it is motor oil. I am going to pull the air filter tonight to see if the air box has oil all over it.

I haven't cleaned my air filter since last year ( but I only have about 500 miles on the bike since I last cleaned it ).

I haven't dumped it recently either. I did hit a bunch of whoops and little jumps on my last trip. Also, I ran it up to 75 mph or so for about 20 miles. So maybe is just sprayed a little oil over from the crankcase?

Heck, oil could have been sitting in that resevoir for a while now too. It may have only just begun to leak.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

You may have put just a hair to much oil in your last change as well.

My KLX likes the oil level dead in the middle of the hash marks on the sight glass, any more than that and she'll puke a bit out into the air box.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

It's oil from your oil filter, or the crankcase vent tube that dumps into your airbox. On the KLX, I believe the tube is on the dirty-air side, so, it doesn't HAVE to be capped. On the KLR650's, I recall that it is on the clean-air side of the filter, so, those MUST be capped.

You can take the reservoir off and just put a decent-sized screw in the end of the line...that's maybe the best of both worlds.