Clean chain--keep maintained

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Basically I don't want any lube anywhere except on the O-rings. If it's muddy I wash the chain with detergent, spin it dry, lube it with Boeshield T.9, a wax-based lube with anti-corrosion properties. I wipe it off the outside of the chain after applying but this stuff will not attract or pick up anything. Excess seems to just flake off when dry. I use it for tons of stuff, basically just kerosene with paraffin wax. Nice, clean, dry lube for cables, chains, pivots etc. Originally developed for Boeing hence the funny name.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buzztail
Chain gets brushed with diesel, and hit with some silicone spray. It keeps mud and muck from sticking to it. We ride in the sand here in Florida, and sticky lubes are a death nail for drive gears and chains.

BTW what tire pressure do y'all run .

I run Amsoil, change it at 1000 miles.

Scorpion XCMS Front, Trakmaster II rear.
I used to run 26psi but my tires started wearing in the middle so now i run 22PSI.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09klx
It only takes him 45 min to floss it and clean the chain.
i do mine with old tooth brushes, takes about 30 mins to get it REALLY good. with my busted foot right now, i got the time.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
i do mine with old tooth brushes, takes about 30 mins to get it REALLY good. with my busted foot right now, i got the time.
Did you fall off riding?

Old 05-16-2010, 06:35 AM
1st Gear Member

some of you guys really worry about the little things.. its pretty simple if u can hear ur chain when your riding then its dry and needs chan oil/wax. its not gonna kill it to run it dry for a few minutes. i have never taken my chain off to soak it in kerosene.. i just keep lubing it up every once in a while, 11,000 miles later it still works like it should. in the next couple thousand miles i plan on replacing my sprockets and chain. =)

Old 05-16-2010, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I just play it safe and change out the chain at about every 10km. They are always stretched a bit and don't pivot and the pins as easily by that stage in their life. I go on farely long rides, so having a chain fail would really blow. You guys that run them 10,000 Miles in the dirt are flirting with disaster, but to each his own.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:52 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Frankly I don't get the chain wear issue on my '06 KLX. I've owned tons of street and dirt bikes with chains, and I've never seen anything like this. I installed a 14-47 steel sprocket set from JT. I then installed a 520 DID X-ring chain that was recommended by a good friend that was designed for Quads. I'm assuming it is just the 520VM X-ring model, so I don't know where or how the quad recommendation comes in. Regardless, I have run this chain for about 2000 miles. At least 80% of this mileage has been off road, and I've wailed on this bike quite noticeably. I have not had to adjust any slack out of this chain whatsoever. Now this sounds like total bunk, but it's absolutely true. I don't have any stock in DID, JT, or any other loyalties here. This chain and sprocket set have exhibited no adjustment wear since I installed them. I didn't even have a "bed-in" adjustment necessary, which I fully expected. I don't clean my chain with anything.

I use either BelRay Super Clean...only because I had 2 cans of this expensive stuff left on hand...or the Dupont PFTE Dry Wax stuff you can get in Lowe's for $5 a can. I sort of alternate between the 2 lubes, but I think this has nothing to do with the wear performance in this case. My only critical routine is to lube the chain after every ride. I don't ride in a bunch of mud, but you know you can't avoid creek crossings and such.

I don't get it. I've never seen a dirt bike go this long without an adjustment. It's amazing to me. Maybe it just shows that quality chains are the real secret...I don't know. Even 2+ weeks of riding in Moab didn't stretch this chain.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
..... amazing to me. Maybe it just shows that quality chains are the real secret...I don't know. Even 2+ weeks of riding in Moab didn't stretch this chain.
+ 1 on those thoughts. I've got over 8000 km on my Renthal R3 O ring chain and have just adjusted it half a number (1 notch) on the snail cam. Regular oil (LITTLE but often.) It's obvious that a quality chain is the key to long chain life.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 AM
1st Gear Member

So I just spent an hour cleaning my chain this afternoon - what a pain. I am tempted to just spray it with degreaser next time, then crack out the pressure cleaner to blast the residue off. Once the chain drys (maybe after a short ride) I'll then give it a good spray it with my Maxima Chain Wax.

Not sure if this approach will damage the o-rings and compromise the chain because the grease in the rollers will also get blasted out - but because the degreaser isn't on for more than 5 minutes, and the chane wax should get in the rollers before the wax solvent evaporates if I give it enough of a spray, I figure it can't do too much damage.

Opinions welcome...

Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

anyone ever use PJ1 chain lube? I just bought a can the other day, so far it seems ok it is almost a foam type of spray and it coats the chain, then i just wipe it off the excess. just wonderin if anybody else has tried it and what their thoughts are.

Quick Reply: Clean chain--keep maintained