Christini AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Christini AWD?

Just came from the annual motorcycle show. Mostly the same old stuff from last year, just in a different colour. This year however the Christini AWD caught my eye. They are 2-strokes in 300 & 450 sizes with a relatively simple drive system for the front wheel involving a series of chain, gear, & shaft drives. Of couse the sales rep couldn't say enough good about them. They were selling the 300 for $10,000 CDN. Anybody here have any saddle time on one?

Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

There are a couple of extensive threads in the "Thumpers" section of ADV. I've looked at these for awhile. I've seen a couple at our annual state circuit enduro the last two years. They are actually an impressive design on that front drive setup. Isn't the 300 a 2-stroke and the 450 a 4-stroke? Also, there are two ways to go with a Christini. There are certain bikes...some Hondas and some KTMs that I know for sure...that this setup can be attach to. You have to send in your frame for that application. Then there are the Chinese versions like the 450 4-stroke and even a street legal 4-stroke model. The 450 Chinese version is a Chinese Honda 450 clone made under Honda license. I'm not absolutely sure about the 300 2-stroke as far as design origin or brand. I've studied these quite a bit and would be interested in the Chinese 450 street legal model if they stand up reliably over a little time. The Christini system is basically U.S., but it has several bike applications.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

The 300 smoker looks to be a GasGas motor, due to the finned power valve cover.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

No saddle time here, but a member of a local club has one. We've talked over the past year about it and he has nothing bad to say.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
No saddle time here, but a member of a local club has one. We've talked over the past year about it and he has nothing bad to say.
What's he got, Scott? When you say Christini, it can be one of several brands and types of bikes.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ROKON.

IDRDR - does your friend feel it improves his riding?

Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djchan
ROKON.

IDRDR - does your friend feel it improves his riding?
Can't really say he's a friend, just an acquaintance. He's a Dr. type (medical or dental), somewhere in his 50's I guess, an avid long time rider who does some pretty technical single track. Not a wild invincible 20-something speed freak riding testis-a-fire with something to prove. I get the impression he can ride tougher stuff with more security like the steep, lose shale covered trails, roots, rocks, steep switchbacks, etc., that we have a lot of around here. So with that, I'd have to say yes to your question.

ROKONs can be cool, but this fella is not hauling elk out on the Cristini.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

The bicycle works great! But doesn't get any attention like the motorcycles do for obvious reasons(you rarely need it on a bicycle, so why push the extra expensive weight around).
Christini has been around a long time trying to sell this idea. I'm glad his idea and company seem to finally be taking off.
The assembly and maintenance seem very simple.
It may be the only motorcycle I buy new, unless I find a used one, but not too interested in the Chinese Honda 450 copy. But I'm very interested in a GasGas powered bike, as long as it is a GasGas with their(reportedly awesome) suspension and the Christini AWD added into the bike. I think a GasGas would need less fussing with than a copy of Honda's 450(new pipe, rejet, etc.).
But I lust after any GasGas.
I can't get up the driveway(it's a sheet of ice on a hill) to my house, and I bet that bike would climb right past where I keep spinning out just 15ft short of the crest of the hill.
Having a front wheel steering and pulling would be great! Especially that first one with the gnarly studs.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

MP:AWD mountain bikes too? Sounds interesting but I am challenged to think of when it might be useful enough to warrant dragging all the extra weight around... I suppose it would be useful on very steep uphill loose terrain...

Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

A guy near here has a 950 adventure that he brings to our DS ride each year. He has modified one of the christini kits to fit this bike. It's a monster, can't believe he takes it on our trails ( more enduro than DS)

Turn your KTM950 into AWD in 3,4,5,??? easy steps - ADVrider

Quick Reply: Christini AWD?