choke stick thing, air leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default choke stick thing, air leak?

haven't posted here in a while! ...yes I still have my moto .

bike hasn't been restarting without a tiny bit of throttle for the last month now.
figured out today by pushing in the choke lever it restarted easy.

wondering what anything thinks, can there be some kind of leak?
im not sure about it because when I "pushed in" the choke lever it didn't really budge at all , didn't really make much of a difference. like theres no play in the choke lever... but somehow pushing on it before starting helped ..maybe

Old 04-28-2018, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not going to be any help, but I am wondering why you decided to push the choke in instead of pulling it out? Usually to start the bike cold, you pull the choke out to cut off the air supply and put more gas into the combustion chamber. Pushing it in would allow more air into the cylinder, but for it to start easily makes me think that it might have had too much gas, but then it wouldn't start right away, at least not without a little backfire I wouldn't think.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

All the 'choke' on CV carb really is another carb venturi to give you a fast idle and added fuel . The plunger you pull on opens an airway to a small venturi and that's what adds fuel.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LemonRX
I'm not going to be any help, but I am wondering why you decided to push the choke in instead of pulling it out? Usually to start the bike cold, you pull the choke out to cut off the air supply and put more gas into the combustion chamber. Pushing it in would allow more air into the cylinder, but for it to start easily makes me think that it might have had too much gas, but then it wouldn't start right away, at least not without a little backfire I wouldn't think.

again Im not diagnosing the bike when its cold its starts up fine when its cold.
the bike doesn't restart well without a tiny bit of throttle.. WHEN HOT or WARM .... since needing throttle would suggest the needs more air to start ...I tried pushing the choke in, just in case case there was a leak at the choke where it was causing more fuel to get into the engine during startup...
when I pushed it in the choke didn't push in at all but the bike seemed to start up better.

read the fkn post lemon...it was just a random test I tried because I am stumped with the issue.

Last edited by horror_fan; 04-30-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Starts fine when cold. Needs a little throttle when warm/hot to start.
Do you need the choke when starting cold? If not sounds sounds like it’s a bit rich. Which when warm could need the extra air to lean the mixture to start.
I could be wrong tho... what’s your mixture screw set at?
You might want to put in your signature your jetting and needle setting, plus any mods you have done to help our diagnoses...

Old 04-30-2018, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horror_fan
again Im not diagnosing the bike when its cold its starts up fine when its cold.
the bike doesn't restart well without a tiny bit of throttle.. WHEN HOT or WARM .... since needing throttle would suggest the needs more air to start ...I tried pushing the choke in, just in case case there was a leak at the choke where it was causing more fuel to get into the engine during startup...
when I pushed it in the choke didn't push in at all but the bike seemed to start up better.

read the fkn post lemon...it was just a random test I tried because I am stumped with the issue.

Sounds like no big deal. I've had numerous bikes that required slightly cracking the throttle to start when warm. It does maybe need a bit more throttle to start, but not while idling. I have some thoughts why that may be, but without being relatively sure I will not say why. Remember, it's not pulling the slide up, it is opening the butterfly, which will affect how the idle mix circuit works, due to the location of the holes relative to the butterfly.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Starts fine when cold. Needs a little throttle when warm/hot to start.
Do you need the choke when starting cold? If not sounds sounds like it’s a bit rich. Which when warm could need the extra air to lean the mixture to start.
I could be wrong tho... what’s your mixture screw set at?
You might want to put in your signature your jetting and needle setting, plus any mods you have done to help our diagnoses...

it was the mixture screw

WHEN I HAD THIS ISSUE (and every other issue I've brought up on this forum) ... the mixture screw was set to 2.5-2.1
I had been playing in this range ONLY based of forum members BOGUS recommendations. "dyno tests" whatever ..
honestly was the worst advice I could get ... and the fuel ratio proves it.

Got to wrenching today from the mistake I made last night (thanks to klx67.. whatever)
I pumped the air up and now I run STEADY 12.3-12.7 02 range @ 1.5 turns out ...maybe the gauge is bogus?... okay but I have no decel pop no hard cold start no hard restart
After running 1.5 turns on the mixture all my problems were solved... and honestly it could prob go to 1.3 turns out stock.
When I first posted, I made it clear what my setup was and you guys gave me some bogus advice & a hard time..
...was recommended 2 or higher because it was "dyno tested" and proven ... BS...what a waste of time.

idc what anyone says ...
- proper valve clearance
- no leaks anywhere
- proper oil level
-stock airbox , clean filter
-stock muffler + headers
-stock motor
- plugged EPA suction valve
-carb with the stage 1 dynojet kit for the 09 klx
using the smallest main jet
and a 38 or 40 pilot

Should be run with the mixture @ 1.3-1.5 turns out.
Im pretty sure Dynojet only recommends 2+ turns out for modified air.

Last edited by horror_fan; 04-30-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Sounds like no big deal. I've had numerous bikes that required slightly cracking the throttle to start when warm. It does maybe need a bit more throttle to start, but not while idling. I have some thoughts why that may be, but without being relatively sure I will not say why. Remember, it's not pulling the slide up, it is opening the butterfly, which will affect how the idle mix circuit works, due to the location of the holes relative to the butterfly.
no big deal? well I'm glad you have that opinion cuz you can keep it ... I like my motors running the way they should, not even going to read the rest of this crap.
the bike shouldn't need to crack throttle ... the point of electric start is convenience ...having it start like a car would + not having to break your back from excessive kicking .

Last edited by horror_fan; 04-30-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horror_fan
it was the mixture screw

WHEN I HAD THIS ISSUE (and every other issue I've brought up on this forum) ... the mixture screw was set to 2.5-2.1
I had been playing in this range ONLY based of forum members BOGUS recommendations. "dyno tests" whatever ..
honestly was the worst advice I could get ... and the fuel ratio proves it.

Got to wrenching today from the mistake I made last night (thanks to klx67.. whatever)
I pumped the air up and now I run STEADY 12.3-12.7 02 range @ 1.5 turns out ...maybe the gauge is bogus?... okay but I have no decel pop no hard cold start no hard restart
After running 1.5 turns on the mixture all my problems were solved... and honestly it could prob go to 1.3 turns out stock.
When I first posted, I made it clear what my setup was and you guys gave me some bogus advice & a hard time..
...was recommended 2 or higher because it was "dyno tested" and proven ... BS...what a waste of time.

idc what anyone says ...
- proper valve clearance
- no leaks anywhere
- proper oil level
-stock airbox , clean filter
-stock muffler + headers
-stock motor
- plugged EPA suction valve
-carb with the stage 1 dynojet kit for the 09 klx
using the smallest main jet
and a 38 or 40 pilot

Should be run with the mixture @ 1.3-1.5 turns out.
Im pretty sure Dynojet only recommends 2+ turns out for modified air.
The stock pilot jet is a #35. You finally show that you have a 38 or 40 pilot jet. The pilot jet meters fuel in parallel with the idle mixture (pilot) screw (fine tunes). The larger pilot jet that you have, means that the idle mixture screw will have to be set leaner, which is what you've done. The recommendations that you have received were based on the STOCK #35 pilot jet and would be appropriate.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-01-2018, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

It's the forum's fault you don't know how to tune the carb? .... and you never said what elevation you're at!

Quick Reply: choke stick thing, air leak?