Choke question from new owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
That's how I feel about startup also. Helmet and gloves on, mount up, start, idle for 5 seconds, and start to ride with the choke on. Press the choke in after about a block down the street, two blocks if its frosty. I don't subscribe to the set-and-let-idle-for-five-minutes theory.
OK...would you believe 3 minutes?...in my best "Get Smart" intonation.

Yes, I agree it's best to get off the choke and idle routine as soon as possible, but during certain temps and seasons, these bikes can be cold beasts, so a little more warmup at those times will help you start rolling a little more smoothly. Generally I'd make the observation that people with a KLX...or most other carbed vehicles without electric or temp-controlled chokes who can ride away almost immediately from a cold start with little warmup probably have their carb(s) jetted too richly on the pilot circuit and maybe even the needle/needle jet circuit.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
OK...would you believe 3 minutes?...in my best "Get Smart" intonation.

Yes, I agree it's best to get off the choke and idle routine as soon as possible, but during certain temps and seasons, these bikes can be cold beasts, so a little more warmup at those times will help you start rolling a little more smoothly. Generally I'd make the observation that people with a KLX...or most other carbed vehicles without electric or temp-controlled chokes who can ride away almost immediately from a cold start with little warmup probably have their carb(s) jetted too richly on the pilot circuit and maybe even the needle/needle jet circuit.

Your best "Get Smart" is pretty much how I would describe what I do... no set time other than at 6:30 am... then I get ready, fire it up, and let the 4000rpm idle take me a way. Kept the neighbors happy. The 650 was a bit loud at that time. Otherwise it could be a few minutes, but only because my choke on the 650 tends to slide in unassisted. The tension nut doesn't work too good on it. Still waiting to see how the 250 is. The first ride it took off virtually instantly without any hesitation. I do have a bigger pilot and the screw at 2.5 out along with the MCM. But maybe part of it is the Dial-A-Jet filling in the lean condition too. That's what it's supposed to do.

I have to get the chain and sprocket on the bike this week to ride some next week. My brother and I leave for Michigan for some trail riding next Thursday. Wish a few of the other guys would have decided to go. But what the heck, my brother does pretty darn good, better than me at this point, but I'm older and at this point my single track riding has been on a tank - 650. Break out the old HiPoints and I'm good to go. Playing it safe using a neck brace just to err on the side of safety should I do something stupid. The neck isn't as flexible as it was. If I'd had a neck brace when I crashed I probably wouldn't have had the shattered C6, but they didn't exist then.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I have to get the chain and sprocket on the bike this week to ride some next week. My brother and I leave for Michigan for some trail riding next Thursday. Wish a few of the other guys would have decided to go. But what the heck, my brother does pretty darn good, better than me at this point, but I'm older and at this point my single track riding has been on a tank - 650. Break out the old HiPoints and I'm good to go. Playing it safe using a neck brace just to err on the side of safety should I do something stupid. The neck isn't as flexible as it was. If I'd had a neck brace when I crashed I probably wouldn't have had the shattered C6, but they didn't exist then.
Rode many a mile on the great Michigan single track trails over the years. Back then we rode two stroke bikes that were much lighter. The KLX250 should be able to handle the sand OK but is still a little heavy for the tight trails in MI.

Doug

Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by klx678
Your best "Get Smart" is pretty much how I would describe what I do... no set time other than at 6:30 am... then I get ready, fire it up, and let the 4000rpm idle take me a way. Kept the neighbors happy. The 650 was a bit loud at that time. Otherwise it could be a few minutes, but only because my choke on the 650 tends to slide in unassisted. The tension nut doesn't work too good on it. Still waiting to see how the 250 is. The first ride it took off virtually instantly without any hesitation. I do have a bigger pilot and the screw at 2.5 out along with the MCM. But maybe part of it is the Dial-A-Jet filling in the lean condition too. That's what it's supposed to do.

Hey!
We're leaving early next Saturday morning and coming back Thursday.
Got a new rear tire ready to mount this weekend. Change oil and I'm ready to go!

Riding Tomahawk, Indian River and all points west.