Chill out ppl

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I know the guy that's putting it on, he's been begging me to go, I went to highschool with him. I just don't have the money for it right now. Its a bit too much buzzing along at speed IMHO. These bikes just aren't comfortable enough to rack up that many miles in such a short time. Or I'm just a wuss, one or the other.

It was a rush! I've been trying to do it whenever I'm offroad, and now that I'm getting better at maintaining speed on the trail, I've been going for it. I didn't get that high off the ground but one of them I hit square and threw my weight properly and got some nice, smooth, level air. It was awesome!

Now, when I get that 47T rear sprocket, I'll be able to wheelie-jump off roots like my old man

Old 11-09-2008, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
I know the guy that's putting it on, he's been begging me to go, I went to highschool with him. I just don't have the money for it right now. Its a bit too much buzzing along at speed IMHO. These bikes just aren't comfortable enough to rack up that many miles in such a short time. Or I'm just a wuss, one or the other.

It was a rush! I've been trying to do it whenever I'm offroad, and now that I'm getting better at maintaining speed on the trail, I've been going for it. I didn't get that high off the ground but one of them I hit square and threw my weight properly and got some nice, smooth, level air. It was awesome!

Now, when I get that 47T rear sprocket, I'll be able to wheelie-jump off roots like my old man
Yeah, funds are kind of limited for me too right now. Not to mention honey-do chores.

The KLX can do some long miles, but you'll be worn out at the end of the day. I've done 300 mile days of single track and dirt roads before on the KLX.

Very cool on the trail riding and getting some air. With the chance of going Yoda here, it's all about looking where you want to be, being able to pick out the line, body English and throttle/clutch control.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

The most miles I've done in a weekend was 200 or so, gravel roads and a little highway and a little singletrack. The worst thing right now is these worn-out stock tires. I've got around 4500 miles on the bike, mostly street, and these not-so-great stock tires are now utterly horrid. The bike just goes wherever it wants. Anything but true hardpack and its a crapshoot. Both my drops today were (mostly) not my fault. First was in a mudhole in a turn, they just squirted out from under me and I took a mud dip. The second time, they plowed like a tractor and shot me off the trail into some brush and I just killed the bike and ejected.

When Santa Claus brings me knobbies and a sprocket/chain I'll be able to step up to the next level (I hope).

Old 11-09-2008, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Been waiting for the freezing weather. I don't like riding when I have to dress for the cold and then re-dress for the warm weather after work. I prefer to have it only one way. If its freezing all day, then its a good day.

Also trying to fix the cold start issues. Don't want to be tipping the bike everytime to get it to start in cold weather.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako

Also trying to fix the cold start issues. Don't want to be tipping the bike everytime to get it to start in cold weather.
I know what ya mean....After 2 days of no starting I have to go full choke and front brake and rock the bike back and forth for the sucker to start....Almost like the floats are sticking...

Rocco

Old 11-09-2008, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Just got back from a night time ride in the dunes. Damn the weather is nice here now. Summer heat sucks....but cold sucks waaay more.

Name:  TodaysWeather.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  88.1 KB

Old 11-09-2008, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

If you Yankee moles need sumthin to do in da cold ...wack a slab ****.

Name:  WACKASLUT.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  23.7 KB

Old 11-09-2008, 04:35 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Well, the whole reason I sprung for a HID headlight is I get tired of it getting dark so early this time of year and I figured if I had a decent light, I'd try some night riding.

After doing a couple of night rides now, I'm liking it quite a bit. It makes old trails seem new. Definitely harder to see over steep drops, but I reckon you don't have to worry much about that down in Flatistan.

My helmet cam just doesn't have the light gathering ability to do a good job at night. But I saved a few clips and am uploading it anyway. The headlight is throwing out a whole lot of light, way more than the stock bulb and I had no trouble seeing until I got some speed up. Still need to be careful though, stuff comes at you pretty fast in the dark.

If I do this much more, while the HID headlight is a must, I think it needs augmented by a good helmet mounted light, too. Even with the HID headlight, there are a lot of dark areas it can't reach, but would be fine if you had a light to follow where you looked.

Edit: link to clip https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=25618

Last edited by Nobrakes; 11-09-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I luv night riding, I do alot in the summer. The glare off a gps actually hurts your vision, fyi. Trails are totally different at night, and I luv the adventure of it.....but even in flatistan ya gotta be real careful about holes and dropoffs...but for me that just adds to the adventure...but I think I got a few screws loose.

Oh always carry a compass...trust me. A gps or map will tell you where you are but not which way is north ....lol. The moon moves too.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 11-09-2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm definately a victim of seasonal effect disorder. For me, its mostly the extreme lack of sunlight. The only time its 'good' sunlight is in the morning and thats only if its a clear day, and it only lasts a few hours. The rest of the time it spends its time getting light or getting dark,....or of course...being dark. It sucks. Then the lower temperatures suck too. But worst of all is when the snow and ice come. Thats when your officially 100% stuck in doors.

Even though some people have snowmobiles around here ( I even use to own a few ) they are no longer practicle. Our weather is too errattc anymore the past 10 years. We don't get a whole lost of snow and when we do it only lasts a week or two, then melts off and then snows again. So basically we only get a handful of good days to ride a sled, which means you REALLY must like to ride in order to own one for that short of a time. Or you got bucks and alot of time to haul it north and take a weekend sledding.

Just not practical. So for the most part....we're stuck with no riding 'round these parts. Usually fades in and out in November, its a weird weather month. Then usually March it fades back in and out once more and into April.

BLAH!
________
Women'S Health Advice

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Chill out ppl