Cheng shin C858 rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Default RE: Cheng shin C858 rear tire

Back in the 80's there was a TV commercial where the spokesperson made the comment, "Tires Ain't Pretty!" One of the classics. I knew the guy and also knew that he was liquored up so he could come across like he did. Actually, the word "Tires" was really pronounced like "TARS", but with multple syllables.

I keep looking at what is out there for our bikes. There are a lot of choices:

Kenda 270's

Kenda 760's - Trak Master II

Cheng Shin 858's - I have a friend that runs them on his Super Sherpa and he plows through deep, deep sand with them.

But I am seeing more and more DOT approved tires and many at very affordable prices.

IRC is a company that I've run their GP110 tire on the front of my KLR650 for many years now. It lasts a long time, works fantastic on the road and not too shabby off road on gravel and such. Not something you want to go into deep sand with. They do have some tires that are quite interesting though.

BATTLE RALLY BR-99 DOT

R-RATED

AGGRESSIVE KNOBBY DISTRIBUTION PROVIDES EXCELLENT OFF-ROAD PERFORMANCE

APPROVED FOR FIM-TYPE ENDURO

DOT APPROVED

BR-92

10% ON - 90% OFF

EXHILARATING OFF-ROAD PERFOMANCE FROM A STREET LEGAL TIRE

EXTRA WIDE KNOBBY TREAD PATTERN PROVIDES SUPERIOR TRACTION ON LOOSE DIRT AND LOAM

REINFORCED CARCASS CONSTRUCTION

I might just be tempted to order a set and give them a try. Cost? Under $100 a set.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm kinda of the mind that tires are pretty cheap, and the all wear out eventually, so why not try a variety. Problem is, there are so many great looking options to choose from - not a bad problem to have. I think my next set maby be a pair of Bridgestone E660/E661 front/rear combo.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:21 PM

I paid $34 for my kenda 80/100/21 from rocky mtn atv

Old 09-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dazjr

I just got the C858 rear tire in the stock size. It was $39 out the door. I have been intrigued by this tire for a while because of the price and tread pattern. I put it on last Friday and went out and rode a little off-road with it. My first impression riding to the trail was that it handled like the stock 603, which means my bike goes around corners again. [sm=bounceybounce.gif] On-road, the tire is very smooth and quiet. Off-road, the tire worked really well. I ride mostly sand trails and this tire spins a little then hooks. The stock 603 never really hooked on these trails. Anyway here are some pics. Notice the center of the tire. The ***** are very close together which makes for the smooth ride. The ***** are 1/2" deep.

What's that black thing hanging down from the fender behind the tire?

Mine is missing. Sorry I just couldn't resist.
Name:  Picture_0009.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  80.7 KB

Old 09-21-2006, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick! Somebody report that plate number as an OCD member of the PWI gang of Washington!

Old 09-21-2006, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

What's that black thing hanging down from the fender behind the tire?
Ha. Ha. But you are a little slow, I posted that a long time ago. [sm=wakeup.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]I ride through too much sand, water and mud to not have that fender there. However, I do have my eye on this...

I'm just waiting for the right time (time=money) to get it.[sm=signs007.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
To bring to post back to the tire...I am going to get the 858 in the 5.10-18 size for my next rear tire. This tire is the perfect 50/50 tire for me.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I heard recently that there is some sort of spacing requirements for turn signals, something like 15 inches? Is that true here in WA St? I suppose the cops probably won't do much unless you were drawing attention to yourself.........oh wait that's why we bought these bikes and mod them in the first place.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

You should be able to look up your state's statute on-line. The Kansas statute is thus...
Any vehicle may be equipped and when required under this act shall be equipped with electric turn signals which shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights showing to the front and rear of a vehicle, or on a combination of vehicles on the side of the vehicle or combination toward which the turn is to be made. The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit amber light: Provided, That on any vehicle manufactured prior to July 1, 1973, the lamps showing to the front may emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber. The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber. Turn signal lamps shall be visible from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the front and rear in normal sunlight. Turn signal lamps may, but need not be, incorporated in other lamps on the vehicle.
The cops here really don't mess with motorcycles unless your being a jackass.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

this is all i could find on pa laws...

(c) Turn signals and hazard warning lights.--Every motor vehicle, except motorcycles and pedalcycles, and every trailer operated on a highway shall be equipped with a system of turn signal lights and hazard warning lights in conformance with regulations of the department.

I was the one that said the my rear signals are illegal, the one guy i took it to said they were... Then i started thinking, what about those custom choppers and such, all they have on the back is a small tail light, i dont think turn signals are even required by law, because you can use hand signals too.... so im no absolutely sure that they are illegal...

these arent 15" apart....

look at this...

Old 09-23-2006, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Got it mounted up and noticed the Windex was bubbling around the bead a bit, pretty sure it was just air escaping after seating the bead as it had a pretty good seal when I started to inflate the tire. I've checked the pressure several times and its holding steady. Took it for a 4 mile ride as its 9 pm and quite dark and even in 4 miles managed to have 2 dear run out in front of me on the trail, 3 on the road, a cat and 3 other unknown critters also in the road so I cut the test ride short.

Anyway, it feels weird to have ***** and a round profile tire again after the worn in (worn out?) 603's flattened profile. It seems to really grip the road quite well and any surface imperfections such as cracks or rises it definitely grips them. The smaller ***** seem a bit squirmy but I'll have to go for a longer ride to say for sure. I do know however than on steel deck bridges it is so much better and more confident than the 603 ever could have thought of being! In the dirt, the previous description suits this tire to a T. In the short ride I hit hardpack, hardpack covered in small pea size gravel to larger crusher run and some sand. Under hard throttle it digs in and finds a line and holds that line as it pulls hard and straight. The 603, on the same trail, once it was spinning it wanted to wander, not so with the C858. You don't even really get more than 2 seconds of squirrely spinning and then it grips hard. Braking performance is good as well as lateral traction in the dirt. Turning around on that trail I was able to spin the rear around easily but it was very controllable. To me the 603 didn't want to come loose or when it did it would break out with no real feedback. As far as the compound goes and traction wise I'd say in road traction its around the 603 in that it takes a hefty stab on the rear brakes to get them to even come close to locking. I tested this at around 30 mph just to see how much it would take to break it loose. The 603 I've had lock up when down shifting in a quick stop as I almost missed a turn.

If this tire wears as well or better than the 603 I'll be extremely pleased.

Sorry for rambling in a random fashion, allergy meds cause incoherent thoughts occasionally.