Checking out a used KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Checking out a used KLX250S

2006 w/1,500 miles, asking price is $3,685 (dealer)

Tips, advice, things to look for? Show what you know. Give a new guy some advice.

I noticed the seat strap is already gone. What the heck is that thing for anyway?

Sweet forum you guys have here.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Checking out a used KLX250S

Hey Brian, welcome to the site. I would offer the dealer a couple hundred less and see what he says. Does the bike look like its been dropped? Do they have the service record like oil change intervals and how the motor was broke in? Does it have the stock Dunlop 603 tires. How about the exhaust is it stock or does it have the Muzzy (sorry guys I just had to) That strap on the seat I think is for the passenger to hold on to, mine went away real quick. Is there anything left on the warranty? Ask them if you can purchase 1-4 more years being a second owner. Ask them if you can test ride it. If they say no then act like you're not interested. You know play the usual games and see how far you can get with it.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

No, that strap is theID10T dumped the bike and needs to upright it strap not like ive had to use it for that reason here and there

Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks deej, everything looked stock (tires, exhaust, etc), no obvious signs of being dropped, but I need to look at it closer. I was there looking at a new XT225 when the salesguy said he hadthis 2006 KLX that had just come in on a trade... wasn't even on the floor yet. I only got a quick look at it in the shop.

It's at the same dealer that sold it new and they claim to have done all the service on it. If they can't produce the records then that's a bargaining chip right there. I plan on walking out at least once before I commit...

Anybody have their manual handy and want to post the mfr recommended service intervals?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Well at the very least that bike should have had one oil change. It recommends oil changes as follows.

0.6 (600 km) first change
7.5 or 7500 which I don't know anyone who has waited that long, most of us are changing it around every 1000 to 2000 miles.
Oil filter every time.

Other than that the bike is pretty new to have had anything else done to it.

Oh and my opinion? My wife has the 06 XT 225 and it is absolutely perfect for her, but for you the KLX is the bike you want not the 225.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks again. The only thing that has me close to the fence on which bike is seat height. I'm only 5'8" with my shoes on and could just get both toes on the ground on the KLX.

I think I saw pics of your wife on her bike around here somewhere. Nice score on both!

Sooo, anyone else have something I should I look for on this used bike?

Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vtgreen

Thanks again. The only thing that has me close to the fence on which bike is seat height. I'm only 5'8" with my shoes on and could just get both toes on the ground on the KLX.

I think I saw pics of your wife on her bike around here somewhere. Nice score on both!

Sooo, anyone else have something I should I look for on this used bike?
Some one on here has bought, installed and commented on a set of lowering links. Hit the search button at the top and type in lowering links. This is what I came up with.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/searc...bmitbutton=+OK+

Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Can I hotlink photos here? Let's try... here's a pic of the bike in question on the dealer's website.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmmmmm doesn't look like it. Here is what you do to get pics into threads. Find the picture in the larger version that you want to share, then right click it and hit properties and then highlight the url address and then come back to the forum and hit the image button, that's the small square mountain box at the end of the options bar and then hit the backspace and paste it in that box, some times you might have to hit the bar in the top to allow active x to grab it from you. then hit OK and it should put it into your post. Also for multiple pics, make sure your cursor is below each picture before adding the next one. I hope this isn't too confusing for you.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

There you go, nice bike, it looks to be in really good shape. Did they tell you why it was brought back?

Quick Reply: Checking out a used KLX250S