Checked my tire pressure today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Checked my tire pressure today...

I decided it would be a good idea, since I couldn't remember when I last did it.

10psi rear... 15 psi front...

Ooops.. manual calls for 29/33 f/r

Bike rides and handles something fierce now...

It was feeling very slow and lazy lately... thought I was just getting used to the tiny engine. But I guess I forgot to check the pressure after getting the bike back from storage at my Mothers place.

On a side note, does anyone know how to check a .gpx file? I want to find out the speed I was traveling on certain roads... I can find average speed, max speed, and the likes.. but not specific points.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Some of the gps data retrieval varies from brand and model. Is there an online instruction from the manufacturer of your brand and model? Borg, that recommended pressure sounds high. Is yours an SF? My S recommendation is 22F and 25R.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Do a google search for "gpx converter" ---

Stashu

Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, it's an SF. If it had knobbies, I wouldn't even dream of that pressure...

Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok, wow, I was scared for you for a minute. If riding off-road, you really want to be around 12 lb front and rear. Anything much higher and you'll be bounding like a basketball off the roots and rocks. Too much lower and you risk snakebite (pinched tubes).

On the road ... well, I guess you know what you're doing there. I have to navigate the tarmac a little when connecting trails, but given a choice, I'll take the trees, rocks, roots, and ruts any day over the mini-vans and prius's hell bent on running me over with their obama sticker'd bumpers. Lol

Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Ok, wow, I was scared for you for a minute. If riding off-road, you really want to be around 12 lb front and rear. Anything much higher and you'll be bounding like a basketball off the roots and rocks.
I've been riding the last two years at 25 front and 20 rear because I had no rim locks. Since I put the rim locks in, about 15/15, and I have to say, it handles much better with the higher pressures. That's not the way it's supposed to work. OTOH, those low pressures are typical for competiton bikes, which usually weigh a lot less than the KLX.

something fierce
Which part of Newfoundland are you from?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I've ridden MTBs for years...

I had no idea having that low of a pressure on a near slick tire would give that much rolling resistance, to make the bike noticeably slower...

I mean, I've also got a "Fatbike"... it's a Bicycle with 4" wide tires, and the rolling resistance with those knobbies barely goes up when you drop to 4psi from say 15psi where it feels rock hard. To make a point, I don't notice it and I've got to pedal the thing!

All I do on the KLX is twist the throttle and hammer the shifter...

But at least I feel like I'm on a new bike again!

EDIT: I'm not from Newfoundland.. I'm from Hamilton! I just like that saying.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
I've been riding the last two years at 25 front and 20 rear because I had no rim locks. Since I put the rim locks in, about 15/15, and I have to say, it handles much better with the higher pressures. That's not the way it's supposed to work. OTOH, those low pressures are typical for competiton bikes, which usually weigh a lot less than the KLX.
I was in the same boat as Zomby until early last year. Ran 22psi and no rim-locks until last spring when I went with the rim locks. Running around 15psi now with the locks, and unlike ZW, I notice a big difference, especially in the front end. So much less deflection of the front wheel.

I think the KLX comes with synthetic tube. The composition of the tube, natural vs synthetic rubber, will affect how it holds pressure.

Synthetic rubber tubes will hold air pressure better, but they will be more susceptible to pinch flats.
Natural rubber tube will actually loose pressure over time ( air leaks through the rubber over time ) but they are more durable in a pinch situation.

Dan

Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I was in the same boat as Zomby until early last year. Ran 22psi and no rim-locks until last spring when I went with the rim locks. Running around 15psi now with the locks, and unlike ZW, I notice a big difference, especially in the front end. So much less deflection of the front wheel.

I think the KLX comes with synthetic tube. The composition of the tube, natural vs synthetic rubber, will affect how it holds pressure.

Synthetic rubber tubes will hold air pressure better, but they will be more susceptible to pinch flats.
Natural rubber tube will actually loose pressure over time ( air leaks through the rubber over time ) but they are more durable in a pinch situation.

Dan
And then there's Tubliss.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I run tubeless on my MTB... with Stan's sealant.

Quick Reply: Checked my tire pressure today...