Check the easy things first!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Check the easy things first!

Recently I and a friend took out the bikes to the so cal desert to get some ride time in. Everything went well got there at 6am, the bikes ran fine. That day it was about 106* at 2 pm, a day earlier it was 115*. The higher pressure radiator cap held the coolant in instead of spraying the underside of the rear fender from the overflow hose. It felt cooler riding than sitting in the shade. Fast forward after washing and cleaning up at home I took the klx out to dry it off, no problem ran fine put everything away. The next time I took it out it wouldn't start, spit sputter pop but no fire. WTH?!? Listening to it, it sounded like it wasn't getting any fuel. Pulled the plug to check for spark- nice fat blue spark. Huh. Took off the fcr35 carb took out the pilot jet-no problem there checked the fuel pump squirt- not that, checked everything else I could think of then reinstalled. No fire still. Man WTF?!? Pulled the valve cover and checked the valves- all within spec. No fire. Damn now plexing hard. Gotta be the ignition cdi went bad? $342 from online... wow damn. I normally have extra spark plugs but not at that time, better try that before getting the cdi... sure thing it fired right up. *Whew* Always kept spare plugs in the tool pack for the 2 strokes, but for some reason didn't for the 4 strokes.. I think in 3 years I never changed the plug.
Lesson learned.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Was expecting "check the gas" in your best slingblade voice. glad you got it sorted

Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
Was expecting "check the gas" in your best slingblade voice. glad you got it sorted
MMMMMMHHHHHHHHHH,,,,,,needs gas.

Exactly what I was thinking there Jim.

Thanks for the reminder RaceGas. Thankfully it was something simple, too bad you took the long way to find out. At least now you know your valves are in spec.

MMMMMMHHHHHHHMMMMMM

Dan

Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a sled late last summer, unloaded it, rode it into the barn, and parked it. First snowfall comes, out goes woof for a rip on the sled, and guess what? No start. I must've pulled 100 times, looked it up on the net, changed the plugs - twice, and even put a heater on it for an hour. Guess what it was? The gas had evaporated over the summer/fall, and it was bone dry.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-tCIRJH9p0

ahahahahhahahahha awesome movie.
Dan

Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

In a further display of my brilliance, after much testing, and negotiation, I brought my new-to-me vintage MX bike home. Once unloaded, I wanted to take it for a rip. No start. I kicked, and kicked, pushed it around, changed the plug, and even called the guy I bought it from to ask if there were special starting instructions, even though it started fine at his place.

Guess what was wrong with it?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Kill switch?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

It was out of gas.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:11 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
It was out of gas.
LOL!...it happens. I had prepped my '77 Husky 360 Automatic for an enduro that was happening that weekend. At the enduro the night before, I tried to start the bike...kicked, kicked, kicked, and had friends kick. The bike had never done anything like that. It had spark and fuel. Let's see...air is the only thing left. Opened the airbox...clean unobstructed filter...no blockage on the airbox opening. Two hours later after pulling the carb off, I see a clean, white, athletic sock stuffed in the bend of the rubber boot from the airbox to the carb. Doh!...wonder who put that in there?

Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Pulling the plug & checking and seeing a nice blue spark had me thinking it was fine. Had me going thru the normal checks to run it down. R&R the carb, check the valve clearances, wouldn't think the plug went bad............ but glad it was just a plug the cdi boxes aren't cheap.

Quick Reply: Check the easy things first!