cheapo fork support/brace for trailering

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Default cheapo fork support/brace for trailering

i got the idea from one of you to make my own fork brace to keep the forks from compressing too much while tied down. here is a pic. i know its pretty ghetto but it works well. i used a 2x4 and cut out the bottom to fit the tire and added the cross piece so it doesnt fall back when tying it down by myself. and finally i painted it black so you can tell its wood from far away!!

also anyone within a couple hours of panama city ever wanna ride let me know, i dont know anyone around here that does any offroad riding. keith

[IMG]local://upfiles/1328/397BB81ADDD848ACA86B03C97C2B514C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Default RE: cheapo fork support/brace for trailering

I was all ready to make my own, but decided that it was far easier to spend $18 on a mass produced unit. Maybe I'll make a wheel chock insert si my front wheel can't turn sideways when tied down against the front of the wheel tray on my trailer.

I'd love to go riding in the Panama City area some time. I'm 14 hours away.. but some time in early late March I might be interested in a little road trip to warmer climates. It's either NW Florida or Texas. In the summer I'd like to go riding out in Colorado.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:50 AM

yeah, $18 is cheap but i was bored and it took me all of 15 minutes so i just put it together real quick.

theres not much great riding right in this area but less than 2 hours is the apalachicola forest near tallahassee that is supposed to have some great trails.

keith

Old 02-26-2006, 07:59 PM

I've been trailering bikes for years without this fork brace. I simply tie the front of the bike down and drive the trailer.

What benefit do you get from this brace?

Old 02-26-2006, 11:47 PM

i have done the same for years, but i just heard that it puts extra stress on the seals bc its constantly compressed while trailering? just heard of this recently but it makes sense to me

Old 02-27-2006, 12:07 AM

I'm not saying you're wrong, nor am I saying you're right.

This is probably one of those topics - kind of like "What's the best oil to use?" - that could go on ad nausem.

My take is that there is always pressure on the fork seals, regardless of whether they are compressed or simply sitting fully extended. I have a problem with thinking that by compressing the forks will make the seals blow out. It is my opnion only.

Just don't want a bunch of newcomers to think that they'll destroy their motorcycles by trailering them. Hell, Harleys live on trailers! [sm=happy046.gif]

Old 02-27-2006, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

I'm not saying you're wrong, nor am I saying you're right.

This is probably one of those topics - kind of like "What's the best oil to use?" - that could go on ad nausem.

My take is that there is always pressure on the fork seals, regardless of whether they are compressed or simply sitting fully extended. I have a problem with thinking that by compressing the forks will make the seals blow out. It is my opnion only.

Just don't want a bunch of newcomers to think that they'll destroy their motorcycles by trailering them. Hell, Harleys live on trailers! [sm=happy046.gif]
I've seen seals blow first hand. On long travel bikes like our KLX, a brace is a good idea for long trips. An hour or two is OK but beyond that you should use one. I cut one out of 1x4 that works fine.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Good job, I did the same thing, now I wish I had painted mine black, but then I couldn't brag about using old growth fir LOL

Name:  100_4941small.jpg
Views: 2733
Size:  76.7 KB

deej

Old 02-27-2006, 07:57 AM

whoa, looks like you spent a lot more time on yours and it shows. nice.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:01 PM

This will come in handy,
Could you guys give me the dimensions for the piece of 2 x 4 from where it hits the bottom of the fender to where it hits the top of the tire? Do you guys make it so that it doesnt compress at all? Or is a little compression necassary, thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: cheapo fork support/brace for trailering