Cheap, small, gear indicator

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cheap, small, gear indicator

is there something small that I can install to let me know what gear I am in? I don't need something like the trailtech because I already have gauges for RPMs and speed etc.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Just listen to the engine.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 04-23-2018, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I doubt you will find any cheap gear indicator, it takes too much to "know" what gear it is in.

Best way is feel. If it's bogging downshift at least one, usually two gears. If it is reved out some, and not pulling very hard upshift. That's the way it's done on off road bikes. Who cares what gear as long as it is pulling. At a stop, look for the flash of the neutral light to know you've gone into first.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Start in 1 and when you shift, just add one in your head, do that if it is that important to you. When your downshifting and you hit first, you can tell with your foot it ain't go'in any lower! ... and then you start adding 1 again, it's not that hard.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

the only reason I wanted one was because I like to start in 2nd. I now downshift until I hear I am in first, then click one time back up to second. would be nice to know when I hit second.

it would also be nice to know when I am in 6th instead of trying to shift up one last time.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:41 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Curious as to what gearing you're running for second gear starts. You must have awfully low front/rear sprocket setup. I have 14/50 gearing, and I wouldn't start off in second gear as a matter or routine. The KLX250 clutch is decent but not that robust.

On your gear indicator, I think the most annoying point in the gear range is that 6th gear deal where you feel the need to shift one more time when you're in sixth. However, since you have a Trailtech...I do too...you get used to the RPM to speed factor to know when you're in sixth. On the pavement where this is the only time it really matters, a quick glance down at my speed and RPM on my Trailtech tells me when I'm in sixth. It takes about the same time and concentration to do this as it would to see an indicator number.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I swear I have always been searching for one more gear on every bike I've ever owned. Always seemed like there should be another.

Gotta tell you, I rode a used Hercules 250GS (Sachs engine) that had a seven speed. That was really cool. No idea why they don't bother to do 7 speeds in dual sports. It would allow great gear spread without needing sprocket swaps. Other great possibility would be a dual range.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Curious as to what gearing you're running for second gear starts. You must have awfully low front/rear sprocket setup. I have 14/50 gearing, and I wouldn't start off in second gear as a matter or routine. The KLX250 clutch is decent but not that robust.
The guy I purchased the bike from told me that the front tooth has been geared down 2 teeth. I haven’t confirmed that though. Starting in second is no issue whatsoever, this is 90% on pavement though.And FYI I don’t have a trailtech, hence my search for a cheap gear indicator.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

If u are riding only on the street, put the stock CS sprocket back on and start in 1st.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
If u are riding only on the street, put the stock CS sprocket back on and start in 1st.
I am riding on street right now until I get used to the bike. I plan to start going on trails in a bit, I will more than likely be starting in 1st on trails though.

Quick Reply: Cheap, small, gear indicator