Cheap body armour

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

pick it up on a clearance sale...looked up the price online and seemed like it was a great deal at $30...i picked up the oneal armor also in a closeout sale for $100

Originally Posted by whyzee
Where do you get the Dainese knee and shin guards V for 30 bucks? I'm in!!

More armour? I am looking at trying/buying the EVS G6. Looks really good in person

Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Thought I'd bring this thread back rather than start a new one. Any suggestions, in addition to Mole Skin, for an adhesive product to fasten to armor where it rubs or chafs knees and elbows, etc? I am getting ready to glue some mole skin to the back of my new EVS knee guards that I wear under my blue jeans. The lining in the knee cup is really rubbing my knee.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you might be better off with something you put on the knee under the knee armor.
Take a look at the "Comfort Lift Knee Support" on this page:

Knee Supports

I have their product for my one elbow which had bursitis last year. The first time I put my riding jacket on this year I got quite a jolt from that elbow, the problem has since gone away (for now?). By having something on the elbow the friction is between the support and the jacket. If you put the mole skin on the armor the friction will still be against your knee.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

kojack, I'd blame the knee and elbow armor itself for undue chaffing...or maybe the way you're fitting it to yourself. I even mountainbike with the same full knee/shin guards I wear for dirt motor, and I guarantee you that my legs are moving like mad...but...I get no chaffing or irritation. And I don't use very expensive knee/shin guards...usually lower end Fox, Fly, or Answer. Now, do the units you're using have a third strap on the top or knee portion of the guard? If so, I find those to be very irritating as the guard seems to need to float just a bit for comfort. If the EVS units are only the 2 lower strap kind...like I use...are you cinching up the straps...especially the upper strap...too tightly? Especially under riding pants with boots on, you don't need much tension on the velcro straps. Plus, speaking of velcro, are you making sure that the rough edge of the velcro portion of the strap is not touching/rubbing bare skin? I'm not really familar with the EVS units. I have some of their other gear, and it's pretty darned good.

On the elbow guards, are you wearing these under a jersey? I'm not a fan of wearing any of my upper body armor under my jersey, though I've noticed this becoming somewhat of a style thing. I find the jersey to be much more effective at wicking away sweat and a lot more comfortable under the armor, and chaffing/rubbing is pretty much eliminated. Plus, you fall a few times with body armor under the jersey, and I think you'll find the jersey will quickly shred.

One other question...have you been wearing armor a good bit when riding? I guess I'm really asking how much or how long have you been wearing body armor and how much experience with it? And of course, not everyone is the same when it comes to apparel, armor, and personal taste, so I'm not saying that I or anyone else is the supreme authority in matters like this.