Changing to a 13 t front

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

How much would you say gas mileage at 65mph is changed going from 14 tooth to 13 tooth anyway? How about the -1 front +3 rear combo as that seems pretty popular. Are we talking a loss of around 5mpg at that speed? Or is the rpm increase dramatic enough to significantly drop the gas mileage even more?

Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

don't think the mpg changes much...it's just changing the your torque and top end....how your use your throttle is what will change your mpg...but, it's not like you are going to go -1 front and +3 rear and be cruising on the highway at 10,000 rpm...most riders will stay within the acceptable rpm limits no matter what gearing you have...

size of tires and tire weight will definitely affect the mpg...i learned that the hard way....with my monster wheels..haha

Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

haha yeah, I don't have giant tires, but my rear is a 130/80/17 instead of 130/70/17 and I'm soon to switch the front to a 120/70/17 distanzia tire. Heavier, but looks cooler and handles better in the dirt than the slicks.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah I think if your rpm's are higher at your normal driving speeds your burning more fuel compared to stock

but I think the difference isnt that much

unless you take the same path everyday there are too many variables to account for

which is why I never obsess about mpg, or top speed
I either fill my tank at 85 miles, or wait until I hit my reserve

I remember my drz400s I had I could run on the reserve tank until I hit around 75 miles then I could run totally out of gas
this 250 has such way better mileage and im on the normal tank and still have all that reserve fuel too

Old 01-25-2013, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Even stock I never got more than 70miles before I had to switch to reserve. That is roughly 50mpg (tank filled up all the way). I'm gonna try driving extra nice this next tank and see how far I can go.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

once I got 90
not sure why
usually im 85-80 before I run dry
alot of freeway riding makes me hit 80
and in town 85 which is what I do most of

then again the speedos are way off, im guessing the odo is too
so that could account for everyone having slightly different numbers

Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a 13T front and 50 rear, racing slip on , TB beat box, The snorkel and top of the airbox is off and no idea what else is inside the engine as i have not had it apart yet.
I bought the bike like this. It runs ok but a bit lumpy at low revs. I have ordered a shed load of parts but none arrived yet as i stay in Sumatra, and no one seems to like to send things here. Even Kawasaki will not give an ETA for parts.
Thanks

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
then again the speedos are way off, im guessing the odo is too
so that could account for everyone having slightly different numbers
The odo usually seems to be off less than the speedo.
Some of the different numbers could be due to US vs Imperial gallons. And then of course there are liters too. Lots of room for errors doing conversions.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Gas stations around here don't even tell you if you getting E10... it needs to be a law or something.

I was getting gas here and there for months thinking I was avoiding ethanol fuel, until I started seeing the gas stations I was giving my business to start putting "ethanol free premium" up on their billboards... and I was like "wtf... how long have I been buying this crap" Its not even any cheaper than the gas downstate when I go home for the holidays. So basically in the last 3 years since I have been up here, almost all the gas stations have started using the blend for regular and mid grades, but the price has remained the same.

Thus I gave up trying to figure out mileage in my motorcycle and cars long ago... though I still calculate it, its impossible for me to know the quality of fuel I'm getting now.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

That is so stupid, they are giving you less gasoline, charging you the same, and you burn through it quicker.

Quick Reply: Changing to a 13 t front