Chaining oil - is there a crush washer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Chaining oil - is there a crush washer

Haven't done it yet so I don't know if there is a washer to replace each time. No filter for this one but when I do is there also a gasket to get?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

No, you just need filter, and hopefully it comes with a rubber O ring to go around the inside of the filter cover.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a drain plug washer and O-ring sold separately. But I've been told you don't need to replace them every time.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Right , I think the OP is talking about the aluminum washer on the drain plug. I have never put a new one on, but I know it's recommended. If I knew where to get one reasonably priced I would probably do it.

I think I have changed the O-ring on the oil filter cap once. The Fram filters come with a new O-ring in the box.
Dan

Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

If the op is not careful, he'll damage the o ring . Mine has some seepage after a hard trail ride with a lot if high rpms otherwise it's dry on normal street rides. Will get the o ring and filter on next oil change after 200 miles again.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I picked up the oil last night and will be changing the oil but not the filter. The oil and filter were changed when I bought. I am going to change the oil every 1k and filter every other. So no filter today. Next time I will make sure I get an o-ring with the filter.

I asked about the washer since I did not want to pull the plug and find that I needed a washer every change. I was only going off of car experience where for instance my Subaru's did take a new crush washer and my VW GTI you replace the whole darn plug!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I recommend you change the filter with the oil every time. The filters are not that expensive and its good insurance that helps your engine last longer. Just my opinion.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kojack06
I recommend you change the filter with the oil every time. The filters are not that expensive and its good insurance that helps your engine last longer. Just my opinion.
I may in the long run do that. This oil only had 500 miles on it from the dealer change. I just wanted to get start it now since the bike has about 1k miles. So I won't have to remember or write down when to change the oil. I am doing it at 1k intervals from know on. Easy to remember and plenty of protection.

I think it took 5 minutes. I was wondering how I would balance the spout and the gallon of oil and measure it out and not make a mess.

I had a funnel with measure lines and also a dial that allows you to turn off the flow. I have a billion zip ties I try to use at every opportunity and this worked great. I filled the funnel with one quart and then let of drain in while I got my torque wrench and tightened the plug. I added more and with this zip tied funnel I could tip the bike straight to make sure I was all full. Worked perfect.

Attached Thumbnails Chaining oil - is there a crush washer-oil-change.jpg  
Old 04-15-2012, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I change my filter at the recommended intervals and the oil gets changed, probably every 1000 km or so. I don't change the oil because it's dirty, I change it because it's worn out. The filter probably sees a half dozen or so oil changes. I see no problem with that.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I really doubt that the filter has lost its ability to filter the oil with short intervals like these. Certainly clean oil can do no harm. Contamination of the new oil from the old filter is not a big concern to me. I may depending on the kind of use change oil/filter more often as well.

All of this is overkill anyway based on what the manual calls for. I doubt my engine will wear out premature.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 04-15-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Chaining oil - is there a crush washer