Chain Wax or Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Chain Wax or Alternative

I use a different Maxima product, can't think of the name offhand but it doesn't set up like the chainwax does. Dirt doesn't cling to it quite like it does gear oil and its got a good consistency to it, it stays semi wet and Simple Green or soap and water will cut it easily. However, if there is oil on the chain already, clean it up well or else it will make a mess. I scrubbed the chain clean with SG and then went with the Maxima after the first mess. Now I can wash the bike and the lube stays on but the crud comes off. Every few hundred miles or if its real nasty in between I scrub and relube the chain. The can also says its an excellent cable lube.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Used to use Chain Wax all the time until the shop was out of it one day. Picked up Bel-Ray Super Clean and never went back. Love the stuff. No fling. The part I like best is it comes out white so you can see where you've been spraying.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KevyzToy

Used to use Chain Wax all the time until the shop was out of it one day. Picked up Bel-Ray Super Clean and never went back. Love the stuff. No fling. The part I like best is it comes out white so you can see where you've been spraying.

I use chain wax too but I really like the fact that this stuff is White. Is it the same kind of stickyness as Chain Wax?

Old 09-03-2006, 09:11 PM

I use Penzoil Z4 in the spray,,, seems to do the job just fine ,,not to messy either.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

ORIGINAL: KevyzToy

I use chain wax too but I really like the fact that this stuff is White. Is it the same kind of stickyness as Chain Wax?
Yep. After a ride I wipe the chain down with a rag and WD40. Wipe it dry with another rag. Let it set for a few minutes to air dry and then spray on the lube. Let it set up for about 15 minutes and the bike is good to go. No fling!!!

Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I use chain wax also. The fact that it builds up, is testimony to it's ability to stay on.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cowboy 6

I use chain wax also. The fact that it builds up, is testimony to it's ability to stay on.

Yeah if used properly, Chain Wax is great. It's hard to tell on a dirtbike for obvious reasons but I use Chain Wax on my CBR600RR which I keep it as immaculate as deej keeps his bike and I see no fling-offs on it whatsoever.
The trick is to put it on lightly after a ride while the chain is still hot. Let it dry overnight before riding it and you should have no fling-offs.